1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Question!

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    ~Physics Question!

I spend my weekends reading up on quantum physics. Mostly these forums. I find myself flooded with jargon. So I have a quick little question. I am not taking any courses on physics, I am just really interested.

So an atom is:

Election

Proton-----> Made up of quarks
    Neutron---> Made up of quarks

Quarks---> held together by fermions using an exchange

Now my question is, where does a boson fit in here? From what I read, a boson is what keeps the electron "in" the atomic structure. But how? I thought one of the 4 forces kept the electrons from flying out into ether.

Also, if I made any mistakes with the quarks and stuff please correct me.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: ~Physics Question!

Bosons are the particles that are exchanged to give a force.
    So the quarks are held together by gluons and the protons and neutrons are held in the atom by the strong and weak force which is carried by W and Z bosons.

The electric field (that holds on to the electron ) is carried by photons - another boson

The big experiment at CERN is to try and find the Higgs boson that carries the effect of mass.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?