Moment of Inertia: Calculus Explained for Beginners

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the moment of inertia of a system of point masses is given by I = \sum_i m_ir_i^2, where m is the mass of a certain point mass, r is the distance from the axis about which you're taking the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular frequency of the system. If you want to calculate the moment of inertia of a continuous body, you need to use integration.
T@P
I am taking a beginning physics class, and I have some questions about the moment of inertia. First of all, what is the momet of inertia of a uniform disc of mass M and two objects of mass m on either side of the disc (diametrically opposite).

Also, my physics book (Giancoli) has a list of formulas for the moments of inertia of many objects, but no explanation of how they got it. I am guessing its through calculus (which I know). Unfortunately the course I am taking does not "have" calculus in it, so I was wondering if someone could tell me generally how its done? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
T@P said:
Also, my physics book (Giancoli) has a list of formulas for the moments of inertia of many objects, but no explanation of how they got it. I am guessing its through calculus (which I know). Unfortunately the course I am taking does not "have" calculus in it, so I was wondering if someone could tell me generally how its done? Thanks

The moment of inertia of a system of point masses is given by [tex]I = \sum_i m_ir_i^2[/tex], where m is the mass of a certain point mass, r is the distance from the axis about which you're taking the moment of inertia.

If you want to calculate the moment of inertia of a continuous body, you need to use integration.

Last edited:
I am aware that you use integration to calculate the moment of inertia, but as in the case i stated above, what is the integral that calculates it? also could you at least give the integral that would let me calculate the moment of inertia of a simple object (sphere?)

You are to sum over/integrate over all particles making up the body B.
We may represent this with the integral:
[tex]I=\int_{B}r^{2}dm[/tex]
where it is understood that each particle has some position [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] and some mass dm (specific to that particle).
By knowing where the axis is in space, we may find the correct "r"-value for each particle (by use of its position vector [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]).

The above integral is rewritten in terms of the density distribution of the body, that is, the (infinitesemal) mass of each particle fullfills:
[tex]dm=\rho(\vec{x})dV[/tex]

Hence, we may rewrite our integral as:
[tex]I=\int_{V}\rho(\vec{x})r^{2}(\vec{x})dV[/tex]

Let us consider the case of the sphere with constant density [tex]\rho_{0}[/tex], radius [tex]\mathcal{R}[/tex], and let the axis we are considering go through the center of the sphere, which we also set as the origin in spherical coordinates.

We let the angle the position vector to some particle from the origin makes with the rotation axis be [tex]\phi[/tex]

Consider the particle situated at the spherecial coordinate [tex](R,\theta,\phi)[/tex]
([tex]\theta[/tex] being the planar angle)

For that particle, we have:
[tex]dV=R^{2}\sin\phi{dR}d\theta{d}\phi[/tex]
[tex]r=R\sin\phi[/tex]

Hence, our integral becomes:
[tex]I=\int_{0}^{\mathcal{R}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\rho_{0}R^{4}\sin^{3}\phi{d\phi}d\theta{dR}[/tex]

Using [tex]\sin^{3}\phi=\sin\phi(1-\cos^{2}\phi)[/tex]
we find the antiderivative: [tex]-(\cos\phi-\frac{1}{3}\cos^{3}\phi)[/tex]

You ought to end up with the answer [tex]I=\frac{2}{5}MR^{2}[/tex]
where M is the mass of the sphere.

Sorry, I thought you said you didn't need calculus, so I didn't include the integral. For a sphere, you can also calculate the moment of inertia using a single integral, by considering the sphere to be made up of spherical shells (for which I = (2/3)MR^2).

thank you
would the moment of inertia change if i place two equal masses on a flat disc? (in diametrically opposite places)?

T@P said:
would the moment of inertia change if i place two equal masses on a flat disc? (in diametrically opposite places)?
Of course. You would have to add the rotational inertia of the two masses.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated based on the object's mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated using an integral equation in calculus. The equation involves taking the integral of the object's mass distribution with respect to the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering. It is used to predict an object's rotational motion and stability. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of objects in different physical systems.

4. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the system of units used. In the SI system, the units are kilograms per square meter (kg/m^2), while in the imperial system, the units are slug per square foot (slug/ft^2).

5. How does moment of inertia relate to angular momentum?

Moment of inertia is directly related to angular momentum. In fact, angular momentum is equal to the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity. This relationship is described by the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that angular momentum remains constant in the absence of external torques.