1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question

1. Jun 29, 2005 #1
    Long ago in england, the inch was defined as the lengthof three barley grains placed end to end. In what ways was this a good way to define a standard? In what ways was this a poor way to define a standard?

Does anyone know how to answer this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes- you answer it by THINKING!! I doubt that there is any good way to help you here short of giving you the answer- and that isn't the point of the question. Think about what you need to have a "standard" measure.
  4. Jun 29, 2005 #3
    Is it because all barley are similar in size?
    and it could be a bad way since not all barley same in size actually?
  5. Jun 29, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a good start! Now what other reasons can you come up with?
  6. Jun 29, 2005 #5
    Consider that fact that some things are common and easy to visualize. For instance, I live in America so I can visualize a mile. I have grown up with it as a standard unit of measure. But ask me to run a kilometer and I'm stuck. With someone common measurements can have more meaning as more people understand them.

As for the cons, you have a good start. Exactness is the key.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?