How did defining an inch with barley grains have both pros and cons?

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
In summary, defining the inch as the length of three barley grains placed end to end was a good way to define a standard because it was a common and easy to visualize measurement for people at the time. However, it could also be seen as a poor way to define a standard because it may not be exact and may not be applicable to all types of barley.
frozen7
Long ago in england, the inch was defined as the lengthof three barley grains placed end to end. In what ways was this a good way to define a standard? In what ways was this a poor way to define a standard?

Does anyone know how to answer this question?

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes- you answer it by THINKING! I doubt that there is any good way to help you here short of giving you the answer- and that isn't the point of the question. Think about what you need to have a "standard" measure.

Is it because all barley are similar in size?
and it could be a bad way since not all barley same in size actually?

That's a good start! Now what other reasons can you come up with?

Consider that fact that some things are common and easy to visualize. For instance, I live in America so I can visualize a mile. I have grown up with it as a standard unit of measure. But ask me to run a kilometer and I'm stuck. With someone common measurements can have more meaning as more people understand them.

As for the cons, you have a good start. Exactness is the key.

1. What is the history behind the definition of an inch?

The inch has a long history dating back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians and Greeks. However, the modern definition of an inch was established in 1959 when the General Conference on Weights and Measures defined it as exactly 2.54 centimeters.

2. How was the inch originally defined?

The inch was originally defined as the width of a man's thumb, or the length of three barleycorns placed end to end. This measurement varied among different cultures and regions, leading to inconsistencies in trade and commerce.

3. Why was the inch redefined in 1959?

The inch was redefined in 1959 in an effort to standardize measurements globally and promote accuracy in science and industry. The use of the metric system, which is based on the meter and centimeter, also played a role in establishing a more precise definition for the inch.

4. Is the inch still used as a unit of measurement today?

Yes, the inch is still commonly used in many countries, particularly in the United States and United Kingdom. However, most scientific and technical fields use the metric system and its base unit of length, the meter.

5. How does the definition of an inch impact our daily lives?

The precise definition of an inch allows for consistency and accuracy in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and engineering. It also allows for easier communication and collaboration between countries that use different measurement systems.