1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics questions .

1. Feb 17, 2004 #1
    Physics questions.....

1.) From her bedroom window a girl drops a water-filled balloon to the ground, 5.53 m below. If the balloon is released from rest, how long is it in the air? ** they didn't give me any velocity, so i dunno waht to do **

2.) Two arrows are shot vertically upward. The second arrow is shot after the first one, but while the first is still on its way up. The initial speeds are such that both arrows reach their maximum heights at the same instant, although these heights are different. Suppose that the initial speed of the first arrow is 25.6 m/s and that the second arrow is fired 2 s after the first. Determine the initial speed of the second arrow. ** ím lost on this one**

3.) A ball is dropped from rest from the top of a cliff that is 27.6 m high. From ground level, a second ball is thrown straight upward at the same instant that the first ball is dropped. The initial speed of the second ball is exactly the same as that with which the first ball eventually hits the ground. In the absence of air resistance, the motions of the balls are just the reverse of each other. Determine how far below the top of the cliff the balls cross paths. ** totally lost***

4.) The three-toed sloth is the slowest moving land mammal. Assume that on the ground the sloth moves at an average speed of 0.013 m/s, considerably slower than the giant tortoise, which walks at 0.0193 m/s. After 20 minutes of walking, how much further would the tortoise have gone relative to the sloth?

** please help this hw is due tomorrow..thank you.. i'll buy you guys ice cream for helping me with the questions...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2004 #2
    Read in your text book about the acceleration due to gravity.

This will help you on the first, second and third questions.

The fourth question is simply determine how far each animal can travel in the allotted time and the difference between these two numbers. (Read in your textbook about average speed and average velocity.)
  4. Feb 18, 2004 #3
    [tex]v(t) = v_0 + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]
    i think this is the equation to use.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?