Solve Physics: Calculate Force for Gloria's Sled

• Thread starter NJCarter15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question is asking for the force that Gloria needs to exert in order to accelerate her baby and sled with a mass of 75 kg at a rate of 0.5 m/s2 while holding the rope at a 45 degree angle. The relevant equations for this problem include F = ma and Fnet = Ftension + Fg, where Fg is the force due to gravity. By resolving the forces along a single line, Gloria can solve for the necessary force to accelerate the sled. A diagram of the situation could be helpful in solving the problem.
NJCarter15
Physics Questions!

Homework Statement

Gloria is pulling her baby in his sled. The baby and sled have a mass of 75 kg. If she is holding the rope to the sled at a 45o angle and she wants to accelerate at 0.5 m/s2 how much force does she need to exert?

Homework Equations

d = v x t vavg = ½ (vf + vi) vf = at + vi
a = (vf - vi) / t d = vi t+ ½ at 2 vf2 = vi2 + 2ad
d = (vf2 - vi2)/2a F = ma g = acceleration due to gravity = -10 m/s2; Pressure = N/m2 = Pa

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show us your attempt at a solution before we can help you. That's one of the PF rules (see the "Rules" link at the top of the page).

So how would you start this problem?

Well my attempt would be as followed:

Since I know the mass of 75kg and the acceleration (.5m/s2) I now know Fnet in the equation Fnet = Ftension + Fg. Now how do I incorporate an angle into this problem?

Resolve the force so everything is along the same line.

Yes but how would I go about solving the problem?

And then you have one force that is multiplied by some trig function, equal to some other forces. You have enough information to solve this problem. Show us some of your working out.

I have force due to gravity which is mg (75kg)(-10m/s^2). Do I solve for that and then use trig. I do not know?

NJCarter15 said:
I have force due to gravity which is mg (75kg)(-10m/s^2). Do I solve for that and then use trig. I do not know?

No, you need to work out the component of the force due to gravity that is acting on the sled. As was already said, resolve the components to one line.

Draw a diagram of exactly what is happening and what you think the forces acting upon it are, and if possible show us this diagram.

1. What is the formula for calculating force in physics?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. How do I calculate the force for Gloria's sled?

To calculate the force for Gloria's sled, you need to know the mass of the sled and the acceleration it experiences. Then, you can use the formula F=ma to determine the force. For example, if the sled has a mass of 50 kg and an acceleration of 10 m/s^2, the force would be 500 Newtons.

3. What units are used to measure force?

The SI unit for force is Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. However, other units such as pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf) are also commonly used.

4. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. For example, if a sled is experiencing a force of -100 N, it means that the force is acting against the motion of the sled.

5. How does friction affect the force on Gloria's sled?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In the case of Gloria's sled, friction would act in the opposite direction of the force applied to the sled. This means that the force needed to overcome friction would need to be greater in order for the sled to move.