Exploring Physics Questions on Sciam.com & Physicsforums.com

• Thread starter Englishman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, In response to a question asking what physicists in the world are doing, a summary is provided of some of the most prominent physicists in the world. Some of these physicists have written books that are well known and respected by the general public. Michio Kaku is one of these physicists.
Englishman
I have read on sciam.com that physicsforums.com has real scientists online, and I wanted to read their responses. I was reading a fiction book called Blink by Ted Dekker, and there was this extreme genius, with an Intelligence Quotient of 190, and he was in a quantum physics (or so I think) class at Berkeley. He attempted to correct one of his professors, by using Feynman equations or something like that, and the book mentioned Lagrangian something; I don't remember, but the specific thing they were talking about was the future, and probability, and God. I'm interested in that, so that's why I was asking. I am a Freshman in high school.

What is Riemannian Geometry? And what portion of it is devoted to relativity, when Einstein needed a different type of geometry that he needed to get used to, other than Euclidean, for it is incompatible.

What is the Grand Unified Theory?

What is string theory, and what are superstrings?

What is M-theory?

I have read that there are 11 dimensions; is this true?

What are the hidden dimensions?

Has anyone here heard of The Elegant Universe, or perhaps, Brian Greene?

I have heard that Michio Kaku is one of the foremost physicists in the world. Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Englishman said:
There are many better references than this.

Englishman said:
I'm not saying it's a good reference; I'm just asking if anybody has heard of it.
Well obviously, if I'm telling you this not a good reference, that implies I have read it and read others as well. I actually happen to have seen also other media-related material produced by Greene, and I simply do not think he provides a fair introduction to it. IMHO.

Michio Kaku

Depends on how you define "foremost". He is a full professor at a major research university, which puts him in a select group of perhaps a few hundred. His h-index, which is one flawed measure of productivity (other metrics are differently flawed), is 23. This is not enormous: it would put him in the middle of our theory group here.

Englishman said:
Introduction to what, and if you don't like Greene, do you like Michio Kaku?
Introduction to string theory in general. And no, it so happens that I have several books from Kaku and I do not like them, but for different reasons. Kaku provides a superficial overview which did not allow me to go into actual detailed calculations. Maybe I am not clever enough. But his style bothers me, because mixing SF and science can, IMHO again, cause confusion in the public mind.

He fixed radios by thinking, and he was a safecracker. That's pretty much it, I think. :rolleyes:

Englishman said:
Oh, so are you are conveying then, that you do not prefer the traditional style of physicists writing for the masses?
Certainly not. Have you read Feynman's "The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" ? It clearly shows that it is possible, despite reasonable expectations, to provide a fair introduction to what QED really is about, without actually indulging in any calculation at all. This is remarquable. Greene not only propagates many misconceptions, he does it in such a low level that it looses its scientific content.

There are many other references. Look up wikipedia (string theory) for instance. Witten, Green, Penrose, Davies, Neveu or Randall, the list of better contributions than Greene is just too long for me to pick one.

A discussion does not solely starts from a question. You must provide a context to which people can relate so that you raise their interest. At least, show that you can think to a superior level than emacs automaton "psychologist". When asking a question such as "what is M-theory", it would help if you would tell us what you understand of it (so that we can more or less guess the level of the conversation) and what seems difficult to you (so that it hints us towards what you expect).

humanino said:
I have no authority to decide about that, but my guess is that, if there is a wrong track towards being promoted mentor, you just illustrated the worse possible.

A discussion does not solely starts from a question. You must provide a context to which people can relate so that you raise their interest. At least, show that you can think to a superior level than emacs automaton "psychologist". When asking a question such as "what is M-theory", it would help if you would tell us what you understand of it (so that we can more or less guess the level of the conversation) and what seems difficult to you (so that it hints us towards what you expect).
But that's the whole point. I do not know what it is. That's why I'm asking it.

Englishman said:
But that's the whole point. I do not know what it is. That's why I'm asking it.
Tell us what you think it is. Like many have asked, did you attempt to search on the name if that was the only thing that you had heard?

And where are you hearing names with no context?

What is your level in school? How are people supposed to answer you if we don't know what grade you are in or specifically what about the subject you wish to discuss.

Englishman said:
Why?

Wow, you ask so many questions .. :smile:

Evo said:
Tell us what you think it is. Like many have asked, did you attempt to search on the name if that was the only thing that you had heard?

And where are you hearing names with no context?

What is your level in school? How are people supposed to answer you if we don't know what grade you are in or specifically what about the subject you wish to discuss.

I did, but the only reason I'm asking here is that I have read on sciam.com that physicsforums.com has real scientists online, and I wanted to read their responses. I was reading a fiction book called Blink by Ted Dekker, and there was this extreme genius, with an Intelligence Quotient of 190, and he was in a quantum physics (or so I think) class at Berkeley. He attempted to correct one of his professors, by using Feynman equations or something like that, and the book mentioned Lagrangian something; I don't remember, but the specific thing they were talking about was the future, and probability, and God. I'm interested in that, so that's why I was asking. I am a Freshman in high school.

Englishman said:
I did, but the only reason I'm asking here is that I have read on sciam.com that physicsforums.com has real scientists online, and I wanted to read their responses. I was reading a fiction book called Blink by Ted Dekker, and there was this extreme genius, with an Intelligence Quotient of 190, and he was in a quantum physics (or so I think) class at Berkeley. He attempted to correct one of his professors, by using Feynman equations or something like that, and the book mentioned Lagrangian something; I don't remember, but the specific thing they were talking about was the future, and probability, and God. I'm interested in that, so that's why I was asking. I am a Freshman in high school.
Much better!

Let me see if I can doctor this up in a new thread for you and you will get some serious answers.

Evo said:
Much better!

Let me see if I can doctor this up in a new thread for you and you will get some serious answers.

How come it shows that you are offline?

Englishman said:
How come it shows that you are offline?
I have super powers.

"Who is Feynman"? you ask? Surely you must be joking...

Englishman said:
I have read his books and found them excellent. The usefulness of a book is highly dependent on the reader, IMO. Greene's grasp of concepts and ability to communicate them hit me at the perfect place where it built my brain-muscle without injuring it. Despite others casting aspersions upon his books, if they'd been any more advanced, I surely would have lost the plot.

Englishman, I believe you will find more helpful responses here if you do some basic research before posting. Questions such as, "What is string theory, and what are superstrings?" should be first http://www.google.com/search?q=string+theory" (or your favorite search engine). After obtaining some basic knowledge of the subject, if you have more specific questions, the people here will gladly help you.

To get you started...
http://www.google.com/search?q=string+theory"
http://www.google.com/search?q=M-theory+physics"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Grand+Unified+Theory"

DaveC426913 said:
I have read his books and found them excellent. The usefulness of a book is highly dependent on the reader, IMO. Greene's grasp of concepts and ability to communicate them hit me at the perfect place where it built my brain-muscle without injuring it. Despite others casting aspersions upon his books, if they'd been any more advanced, I surely would have lost the plot.

That is good. I am going to get his other book, The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality.

1. What are some examples of real-life applications of physics?

Physics is applied in a wide range of fields, including engineering, medicine, economics, and technology. Some examples include the development of new medical imaging techniques, the design of energy-efficient buildings, the creation of new materials for electronics, and the development of renewable energy sources.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

Some tips for improving your understanding of physics concepts include practicing problem-solving, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials, and discussing difficult concepts with peers or teachers. It can also be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and to make connections between different areas of physics.

3. What are some current topics of research in the field of physics?

Some current research topics in physics include the search for dark matter and dark energy, the exploration of quantum computing and communication, the study of gravitational waves, and the development of new materials with unique properties. These are just a few examples, as physics is a constantly evolving field with many active areas of research.

4. How does physics help us understand the world around us?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. By understanding these laws, we can explain and predict the behavior of objects and systems in the natural world. This allows us to develop technologies and innovations that improve our lives, such as electricity, transportation, and communication.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it only applies to large-scale phenomena, such as the motion of planets or the behavior of galaxies. In reality, physics also explains the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles, which are the building blocks of matter. Another misconception is that physics is a purely theoretical subject with no practical applications. In fact, physics has numerous real-world applications and is essential for understanding and advancing many fields of science and technology.