Physics Ranking Difficulty

In summary: A single bolus dose of 1.5 and 1.75, 2, and 2.125 mg/kg (for adult and 12-, 6-, and 2-year-olds, respectively) was required to achieve the desired sedation. Anticipated recovery would be slow, and a sedation level of 4 (drowsy, eyes open or closed but easily arouses to consciousness with verbal stimulus) was reached only after 70 minutes. The use of a smaller initial bolus with a subsequent half-dose "top-up" at 8 minutes achieves the same sedation level but with earlier recovery. A smaller initial dose of 0.25 and 0.275, 0.3, and 0.35 mg/kg followed by
wolly
What is the easiest topic from optics,mechanics,thermodynamics and electricity(DC)?Can someone rank them from easiest to hardest?
I want to know that because I'm taking my IB and I don't know which one to pick.I found something about this ranking but I'm not sure if this is the correct one:
Optics < modern physics < elect/magnetism <waves < thermodynamics < MECHANICS
So what is your opinion?I want to choose 2 of them but I don't know the difficulty of them in high school level.
We're talking about high school level and not college.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this topic that I created is not with n views and 0 replies.I really need your answers.The answers matter a lot for me.

Is my thread being ignored?I can only see 2 views...

What is "IB"

Your post has been up for 34 minutes, show some patience.

I don't know which would be easiest or hardest for you. How could I know that?

gmax137 said:
What is "IB"

Your post has been up for 34 minutes, show some patience.

I don't know which would be easiest or hardest for you. How could I know that?
IB=International Baccalaureate
Something that doesn't have a lot of vectors?Maybe something that doesn't require a lot of theory and more math?I know that thermodynamics and electricity are based on theories.
Are mechanics and optics easier than thermodynamics and electricity?

I will accept everything that doesn't require a lot of algebra and trigonometry.Do you have that in optics and mechanics branches?

They all require ALGEBRA and a few require TRIGONOMETRY so you better be prepared for that.

Optics uses both and some geometry
Electricity uses both if you study AC currents and mostly algebra for DC alone.
Mechanics uses both and some geometry.
Thermodynamics would use mostly algebra and some statistics too.

However, you should expect to see problems that require knowledge of Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry.

Checkout khan academy or mathispower4u.com in case you need to review these math courses

wolly said:
I will accept everything that doesn't require a lot of algebra and trigonometry.Do you have that in optics and mechanics branches?
How about a career in the Fast Food industry?

Seriously, though, maybe you should look at non-technical majors, like History or something. It does not sound like you would be a good fit in any technical job. Can you pursue a career in the trades instead? Like carpentry, plumbing, etc.?

Not carpentry you need math for that maybe a first responder. :-)

Likes fresh_42 and berkeman
This is for my IB and not for careers.Other suggestions?I mean I know math very well but I don't like when I have to use theory in physics every time.
Is there any opinion about my choice?These are not answers...Look at the thread...

IB is the final exam of high school.Is it really hard to recommend me something?

In terms of theory are optics and mechanics easier than thermodynamics and electricity(DC only)?

@jedishrfu I tried electricity but when I came across rheostats,potentiometers,voltmeters and ampmeter I realized that there is more math and logic than physics.
I mean using some formulas is easy but understanding how you use them in real life is the hardest part.I don't know what to pick.What would you pick if you were me?

wolly said:
IB is the final exam of high school.Is it really hard to recommend me something?
Yes, it is hard to give you a recommendation. So you are saying you are about to take man IB exit exam from high school, and you need to pick a technical subject for that exam and you want to figure out which one to pick to give you the best chance of scoring well and graduating?

Can you just do some sample exams of each to see what seems to work best for you?

jedishrfu said:
Not carpentry you need math for that maybe a first responder. :-)
LOL, yeah, we don't have to do much mental math when figuring out what dose of meds to give based on the patient's weight in kg. After all, what could go wrong if we forget to move the decimal point when multiplying...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18645539
RESULTS:
A single bolus dose of 1.5 and 1.75, 2, and 2.125 mg/kg (for adult and 12-, 6-, and 2-year-olds, respectively) was required to achieve the desired sedation. Anticipated recovery would be slow, and a sedation level of 4 (drowsy, eyes open or closed but easily arouses to consciousness with verbal stimulus) was reached only after 70 minutes. The use of a smaller initial bolus with a subsequent half-dose "top-up" at 8 minutes achieves the same sedation level but with earlier recovery. A smaller initial dose of 0.25 and 0.275, 0.3, and 0.35 mg/kg followed by an infusion 2.5 and 2.75, 3, and 3.5 mg/kg per hour (for adult and 12-, 6-, and 2-year-olds, respectively) for 15 minutes gives a more even sedation level and rapid recovery (20 minutes to sedation level 4).

wolly, what is easy for one person is hard for another, and vice-versa. More important, people generally find it easier to study a subject they have an interest in. So, which of these are you most interested in? That is likely the one you will do better on in the exam. If none of them are interesting to you, then it doesn't really matter, you are in for a hard time if you must take them.

I just have to pick 2 of them.Don't you have something to recommend me?I mean optics is just 9th and 11th grade lessons and mechanics only 9th grade but thermodynamics and electricity are both 10th grade.
Is there a branch that requires only imagination and not a lot of memorization?

Ok I tried thermodynamics and I realized there is more theory than math and after that I tried electricity but I got stuck at rheostats and potentiometers and I realized that these subjects were harder than I expected.
Are optics and mechanics easier in terms of theory?I don't want to fill my head with a lot of theory.

You want to pick the easiest one that requires the least amount of thought? This is probably not the best forum for such a question.

All of our answers will be subjective because we all have different predilections. For me, Optics was always the easiest (if we're talking ray-diagrams, i.e., geometric optics). Conceptually, thermodynamics might be a leap because it deals with things you don't usually see (energy, heat, etc.). Same with Eletromagnetism. Mechanics is probably closest to your everyday experience (therefore maybe more familiar) but can involve a lot of algebra and trig.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "theory." Do you mean conceptual understanding? They all require that. Please clarify with what you think is too much theory or too much math.

Well, I'm still confused. Have you taken these classes and now you just need to decide which exams to take? Or, are you taking the exam at some year in the future, and need to decide which classes to take?

So as a branch optics is easier than thermodynamics and electromagnetism?I am very good at mechanics and I want to choose another branch and this is why I created this topic.

I have taken the classes but I am sure I will fail them if I don't pick something else.I succeded in mechanics but in electricity not so much.
By theory I mean to read all the concepts,

I don't think there is any easy way out. In fact, true learning requires some struggle. Why not learn the material?

If you've taken the classes before, maybe you will have some perspective on how to learn the material and improve your understanding.

It's impossible to rank them like this. What is easier or harder will depend heavily on your school and the curriculum of the course. No one here can give you what you want.

Also, more theory also means more maths. You are using the term "theory" wrong.

wolly said:

Yes. We have no idea how your school handles final exams. It doesn't seem to be anything like my high school. I had to take a final in every class and never had the choice of choosing one or two out of several subjects.

wolly said:
So as a branch optics is easier than thermodynamics and electromagnetism?I am very good at mechanics and I want to choose another branch and this is why I created this topic.

It is almost impossible to answer your question since we haven't gone through your coursework. And remember that most of us have been out of high school for decades, so our judgement of what may or may not be easier should be taken with a grain of salt.

wolly said:
Is there a branch that requires only imagination and not a lot of memorization?

No, not really.

Fine then I will wrote how the programme is in our high school for physics
1.Mechanics
Principles and Laws in classical mechanics
First principle
Second principle
Third principle
Hook law.Wire tension
Friction law at sliding
Mechanical Work.Mechanical Power,
Kinetic Energy.Potential Energy
Theoreme and Law of Impulse
2.Thermodynamics
Basic notions of thermodynamics
First principle of thermodynamics
Applying first principle for ideal gas transformation
Thermic engines
Second principle
3.Electricity(DC only)
Electric current
Ohm's law
Kirchoff's laws
Grouping resistors and electric generators
Electric power and energy
4.Optics
Geometric Optics
Reflexion and refraction of light
Thin lenses.Lens systems.
Ondulatory Optics
Interference
Young device
Quantum physics element
External photoelectric effect

That is all.

What are we supposed to do with this info? If you've gone through all this material, then shouldn't you be able to tell what was most difficult? Is this material that you have covered?

Let me adjust the conversation. I suggest you choose a topic, let us know where you get stuck conceptually, and we can provide some guidance.

Well this is the info for my IB subjects in physics.You said you don't know what subjects I take so I gave you this information.

I forgot to mention that in electricity they added measure devices like voltmeter,ampmeter and potentiometer.

Uh some opinions about these branches might be useful...

Look, if you're having trouble figuring out which subjects to test on, then I highly recommend that you get with your teacher and/or your parents. We just aren't in a position to help you since we aren't you, we haven't been working with you all semester, and we haven't been in the class. Any opinion we could give would essentially be a wild guess.

Thread locked.

Likes berkeman

1. What is "Physics Ranking Difficulty"?

"Physics Ranking Difficulty" is a term used to describe the level of difficulty of a physics course or program compared to other courses or programs. It is often used to rank the difficulty of different physics courses or programs within a university or across different universities.

2. How is "Physics Ranking Difficulty" determined?

"Physics Ranking Difficulty" is determined by various factors, such as the complexity of the subject matter, the level of mathematical rigor, the amount of time and effort required to succeed, and the average grades and performance of students in the course or program.

3. Why is "Physics Ranking Difficulty" important?

"Physics Ranking Difficulty" is important for students who are considering taking a physics course or pursuing a physics degree. It can help them choose the right course or program that aligns with their academic abilities and goals. It can also be used by employers and graduate schools to assess the academic rigor and quality of a student's physics education.

4. How does "Physics Ranking Difficulty" differ from "Physics Difficulty"?

"Physics Ranking Difficulty" specifically refers to the relative difficulty of a course or program compared to others, while "Physics Difficulty" is a more general term that describes the level of difficulty of physics as a subject. "Physics Ranking Difficulty" takes into account factors such as the competitiveness and grading policies of a course, while "Physics Difficulty" may be more subjective and based on individual experiences.

5. Can "Physics Ranking Difficulty" change over time?

Yes, "Physics Ranking Difficulty" can change over time. This can happen due to various reasons, such as changes in the curriculum, teaching methods, or student demographics. It is important for universities and students to regularly review and update the ranking of physics courses and programs to accurately reflect their difficulty level.