Physics reference handbook

Hy!

Might someone recommend a good physics reference handbook. It seem there's plenty of mathemathical ones around, but when it comes to physics, there are only books for certain areas.

I've just started my 1. year of physics, and would laike to have a reference manual which i could use for me entire study, so that i don't have to have 2 books for every field of physics i learn.

I'm sure you understood what i'm looking for, so please advise me.

Thanx

BUMP

Nobody uses a physics reference book? Come on, talk to me people :)

By now, i've found Giecks "Engineering formulas", and it look like it could be it (at least for for classical physics).

Any other suggestions?

fss

Any entry-level textbook should cover what you want (Young & Freedman, Serway are often recommended). Unfortunately no book that I know of exists that covers "all of physics" from the ground up- that would be a large book indeed and not very useful to many people.

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
The American Institute of Physics publishes the AIP Physics Desk Reference:

"The book is a concise compilation of the most frequently used physics data and formulae with their derivations."

I and most people I know rely on texts for each subject...

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
BUMP

Nobody uses a physics reference book? Come on, talk to me people :)

By now, i've found Giecks "Engineering formulas", and it look like it could be it (at least for for classical physics).

Any other suggestions?
I quickly looked through Geick's book, and that seemed to be little more than a list of formulas. In your OP, you said "It seem there's plenty of mathemathical ones around, but when it comes to physics, there are only books for certain areas."

Are you only looking for a book of formulas? There's a bizillion of those. There's also the CRC book that has a lot of physical data (in addition to tables of formulas), etc.

Are you looking for something like "encyclopedia of physics"? Other than the multi-volume "Handbook of Physics", I haven't seen one worth owning.

What exactly are you looking for?

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm actually looking for something that could cover as much classical physics (with the needen basic math) as possible.

Usually people on my faculty use this for their mathematical reference:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/354062130X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

but i find it too blowted with math theory, and i bit heavy (literally) for a reference book. (plus it has no physics).

I'm looking for somethin like Andy advised, so i can find the one that suits me best, buy it, and than know that all the formulas i used through my faculty (or the important facts that helped me understand a topic) are all in one book.

Gieck's "every second page writing" is excelent, but i find it a bit overfilled with tables.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving