Physics Reference Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide for All Levels of Study

In summary, Hy! Somebody recommended a good physics reference handbook, but they don't seem to exist. Somebody is looking for a book that covers classical physics and has basic math. Geick's Engineering Formulas seems like it could be the book, but there are other suggestions as well. Somebody is looking for something like "encyclopedia of physics", and found that it is too heavy and has little physics content.
pinsky
Hy!

Might someone recommend a good physics reference handbook. It seem there's plenty of mathemathical ones around, but when it comes to physics, there are only books for certain areas.

I've just started my 1. year of physics, and would laike to have a reference manual which i could use for me entire study, so that i don't have to have 2 books for every field of physics i learn.

I'm sure you understood what I'm looking for, so please advise me.

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
BUMP

Nobody uses a physics reference book? Come on, talk to me people :)

By now, I've found Giecks "Engineering formulas", and it look like it could be it (at least for for classical physics).

Any other suggestions?

Any entry-level textbook should cover what you want (Young & Freedman, Serway are often recommended). Unfortunately no book that I know of exists that covers "all of physics" from the ground up- that would be a large book indeed and not very useful to many people.

The American Institute of Physics publishes the AIP Physics Desk Reference:

"The book is a concise compilation of the most frequently used physics data and formulae with their derivations."

I and most people I know rely on texts for each subject...

pinsky said:
BUMP

Nobody uses a physics reference book? Come on, talk to me people :)

By now, I've found Giecks "Engineering formulas", and it look like it could be it (at least for for classical physics).

Any other suggestions?

I quickly looked through Geick's book, and that seemed to be little more than a list of formulas. In your OP, you said "It seem there's plenty of mathemathical ones around, but when it comes to physics, there are only books for certain areas."

Are you only looking for a book of formulas? There's a bizillion of those. There's also the CRC book that has a lot of physical data (in addition to tables of formulas), etc.

Are you looking for something like "encyclopedia of physics"? Other than the multi-volume "Handbook of Physics", I haven't seen one worth owning.

What exactly are you looking for?

I'm actually looking for something that could cover as much classical physics (with the needen basic math) as possible.

Usually people on my faculty use this for their mathematical reference:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/354062130X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

but i find it too blowted with math theory, and i bit heavy (literally) for a reference book. (plus it has no physics).

I'm looking for somethin like Andy advised, so i can find the one that suits me best, buy it, and than know that all the formulas i used through my faculty (or the important facts that helped me understand a topic) are all in one book.

Gieck's "every second page writing" is excelent, but i find it a bit overfilled with tables.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I was *really* looking for- my print-out of this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/physics.pdf

I'm promoting it from the far upper corner of my bookshelf to directly within reach. Hope this meets your needs...

What is a Physics reference handbook?

A Physics reference handbook is a comprehensive guide that contains all the important formulas, equations, and concepts used in the field of Physics. It is designed to assist students, researchers, and professionals in their study and understanding of Physics.

What are the benefits of using a Physics reference handbook?

Using a Physics reference handbook can save time and effort in searching for important information. It also serves as a quick reference guide for formulas and equations, and can help in solving complex problems. Additionally, it can help in gaining a better understanding of the subject matter.

What topics are typically covered in a Physics reference handbook?

A Physics reference handbook usually covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. It may also include sections on nuclear physics, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

Is a Physics reference handbook useful for all levels of education?

Yes, a Physics reference handbook can be useful for students at all levels of education, from high school to graduate school. It can also be used by professionals in the field of Physics as a quick reference guide.

Are there different versions of Physics reference handbooks available?

Yes, there are different versions of Physics reference handbooks available, catering to different levels of education and areas of specialization within the field of Physics. Some may also be tailored for specific exams or standardized tests.