How do physics affect the performance of cars in racing games?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a racing game similar to BATracer, where players can buy, improve, and race cars. They discuss the complexities of modeling car performance, with variables such as weight, bore and stroke, and engine rotation. They also touch on the idea of simplifying the programming by offering upgrade options with percentage increases in horsepower and torque. The conversation also includes tips on using NOS and the effects of weight and efficiency on car performance.
Aaron_Mason
Hey,

I'm trying to make a racing game that will run completely within a browser. It will be similar to BATracer, except that rather than using carsets - a model employed by games such as TOCA, NASCAR and V8 Supercars - I will follow the model employed by Gran Turismo, where you buy a car, improve it, race it and get glory.

While I know that > realism = < fun, but I'd like for a true play-by-play of races, like BATracer already is. To do that, I'd like to understand how cars work so I can truly simulate the cars.

I've got the gearbox worked out, what I need to know is how various "variables" such as bore and stroke, the weight of the car and the weight of the engine can make an impact on how much engine rotation is sent to the gearbox.

Hope I haven't left anything out, and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cars are very complex machines. Some variables like total vehicle weight can be used in simple equations to determine changes in vehicle performance. Other variables, like bore and stroke, intake manifold shape, valve timing, etc. are virtually impossible to model with simple equations. Car manufacturers and tuners typically use a dynamometer to empirically measure changes in a car's performance.

- Warren

Hi,

It doesn't have to be simple. As long as I can implement it in logic for a computer program.

I can understand how much speed a car will go at if 3000RPM is thrown into the gearbox in first gear... what I need to understand is how (and if) I can work out how quickly the car gets to 3000RPM.

Sorry if I sound like a complete n00b, there's a lot of things I don't quite understand and that I wish I could remember from high school physics.

It's not high-school physics. Vehicle dynamics is typically an upper-division course in university mechanical engineering curricula. There are textbooks on the topic.

- Warren

Aaron, there's a way that you could simplify the programming and still maintain a reasonable sense of reality. At least I think so, but I don't know anything about computers.
You could offer a list of upgrade options that simply give a percentage increase in horsepower and torque, much as you estimate the power of a real vehicle. Bore and stroke increases both simply increase the cubic inches of 'swept volume' in the engine. Bigger is stronger. Adding headers and low-restriction mufflers can add around 20% or so to the power that you already have. A windage tray can give you 5%, and most people don't even know what it is. Porting and polishing the heads adds a few more percent. As with a real vehicle, the more power you have in the first place, the larger that '5%' is. If you have 100 hp, then you gain 5. At 400 initial, you gain 20. Other things such as suspension tuning, different tires, etc. can increase your performance by certain percentages as well. Hypatia can probably help you with particulars, since she's a hard-core racer who builds her own cars. I've been away from the game too long.
Anyhow, all that your programme would have to do then is combine the hp/torque curve with the traction and aerodynamics in discrete chunks rather than trying to calculate every single variable.
That might not be what you're after, but it's a thought.

Hey Danger,

That helps a lot for logic. I'd still like to know how weight affects this, though. At least offer a slightly higher sense of reality for the hard core racers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Weight, generally, is a detriment. The only exceptions to that are when a vehicle becomes so light that it can't maintain traction, or lacks the structural strength to stay in one piece. The solutions to that are to use aerodynamic features such as inverted wings and spoilers to create a downforce that supplements the gravitational attraction to the ground, and to use composite materials for strength.
In any circumstance, you have only to adjust your performance level upward as your power-to-weight ratio increases.

Aaron,
What you've discribed sounds a lot like Forza Racing [for xbox]. First you need a game plan such how many variables you'd like to include. In Forza you alter just about everything which is interesting to a wrench-head like me. However the level of complexity may limit how many will actually play the game.

Weight is a key performance variable. In regard to the engine it depends on the material that's used, [aluminum head and block vs. cast iron]. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on bore & stroke - it depends on how it's built, [N/A vs. turbo vs. supercharged]. Power [torque] is determined [as mentioned] using a dyno. Typically there's a 15-20% loss through the driveline. Of course other variables are the tire size and gear ratio of the differential. I'd suggest checking out one of the many sites deadicated to automotive science & math.

Hi, C12. Maybe it's just because of my age, but I still say that there's no substitute for cubic inches. I'll take my 440 over anything from Mitsubishi any day. (And a 6-71 Roots over a turbo, but that's just personal preference.)
Good advice about the gearing (including tire size).
A couple of points about NOS that I neglected to mention. One is that it should never be used for more than 10 seconds or so at a time, and only at full throttle. Elsewise there's a good probability of blowing the motor. The second is that its effectiveness is inversely proportional to the efficiency of the engine. An off-the-showroom car could see a 50% increase in hp from it; a perfectly tuned race motor will barely notice it.

Hi Dan,
I wasn't really endorsing any particular configuration, but rather referring to the physics...
One reason the muscle cars have such big cube engine is becasue they're heavy, most around 3700lbs. Ironically my muscle car has a better power to weight ratio, 10.5:1 vs. my sports car which is 12.8:1. The Z06 Vette is ~ 5.5:1 [woohoo - fun!], in contrast is the average car which is ~19:1.

C12_805 said:
Hi Dan,
I wasn't really endorsing any particular configuration, but rather referring to the physics...
One reason the muscle cars have such big cube engine is becasue they're heavy, most around 3700lbs. Ironically my muscle car has a better power to weight ratio, 10.5:1 vs. my sports car which is 12.8:1. The Z06 Vette is ~ 5.5:1 [woohoo - fun!], in contrast is the average car which is ~19:1.

Eh?
:confused:

In case you're interested, here is the description of the vehicle dynamics course offered at my uni.

Vehicle dynamics 1:
Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics with focus on acceleration, braking, aerodynamics, axle loading, ride and steady state handling principles, steering and instability (e.g., roll over)

Advanced vehicle dynamics:
Must have a B.S.M.E. or graduate standing with approval of MAE program director. Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics with focus on acceleration, braking, ride and handling, steering, tire dynamics, and vehicle instability (e.g. rollover). Lecture 3 hrs.

Well, now... that sounds pretty cool. If you're anywhere near Calgary, I'd love to audit the lectures. (As a high-school non-graduate, I couldn't attend officially. :grumpy: )

well its fine to recognise the limitation of the software use
to understand the basics of the car stop playing the games and gotot books

Some compromises have to be made in order to be able to do the computations in real time on a typical PC. A guy named Todd Watson is currently working on his own crude simulator. You can search for his posts at http://www.lfsforum.net, where he uses the forum name jtw or jtw62074.

Here's a link to a typical thread, look for the post by jtw62074. He's met with some experts in the field to build up good knowledge of what it takes to make a car simulator on a PC type system.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=7720

1. How does the physics of a car impact its speed and acceleration in racing games?

The physics of a car in a racing game determine its speed and acceleration through factors such as its weight, distribution of weight, and aerodynamics. A heavier car with a lower center of gravity will generally have better acceleration and a higher top speed. Additionally, a car with better aerodynamics will have less air resistance and therefore be able to reach higher speeds.

2. What role do friction and traction play in the handling of a car in racing games?

Friction and traction are key factors in the handling of a car in racing games. Friction determines how easily the car can turn and change direction, while traction determines how well the car can grip the track surface and maintain control. These factors can be adjusted in the game settings to simulate different driving conditions and surfaces.

3. How does the suspension of a car affect its performance in racing games?

The suspension of a car in a racing game determines how it responds to bumps and changes in the track surface. A stiffer suspension may provide better control and handling on smooth tracks, while a softer suspension may be better for bumpy or uneven tracks. The suspension also affects how the car takes corners and absorbs impact from collisions with other cars or objects.

4. What is the impact of engine power and torque on a car's performance in racing games?

The engine power and torque of a car in a racing game determine its ability to accelerate and reach high speeds. A more powerful engine will provide faster acceleration and a higher top speed, while torque helps the car maintain its speed and power through turns. These factors can be adjusted in the game settings to create a more challenging or realistic driving experience.

5. How do simulated weather and environmental conditions affect the physics of a car in racing games?

In many racing games, weather and environmental conditions such as rain, snow, and wind can impact the physics of a car. These conditions can affect the grip and handling of the car, making it more difficult to control and adding an additional layer of challenge to the game. Some games also allow players to adjust and customize these conditions to their preference.