What steps should I take to become a physics researcher?

In summary, the speaker, Giuseppe, is a 16-year-old from Italy who aspires to become a physicist. They are currently studying pre-calculus on their own and are seeking advice on what they should know by their age and what steps to take in order to become a physics researcher. They express their curiosity and interest in hearing from others' experiences and knowledge on the topic.
Giuseppe_97
Hello guys, I'm Giuseppe, I'm 16 years old and I'm from Italy. Right now I'm attending the third year of high school in my town. I would really like to become a physicist when I grow up so I'd like to know some things from older and more expert people. It is my dearest dream to become a great physicist so I'd like to know exactly what should I know about physics and mathematics by my age... Right now, at school, we aren't doing the most interesting things so I'm studying on my own. Right now I'm following a pre-calculus course and book to then learn calculus and do some serious physics. Although, I think this isn't enough so what should I know by my age and before I go to University. Another doubt of mine is how to get to the job of physics researcher...I mean, what exact path must one follow after leaving high school. I'm very curious about this and I would like to hear your experiences and/or knowledge about this. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
ModusPwnd said:
Getting a job as a physics researcher is very hard. The general steps are outlined in this thread, "So you want to be a physicist"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

I took a look at that, thank you; what I really wanted to know is what should I already know at my age and what to do in order to be advantaged.

1. What education is required to become a physics researcher?

To become a physics researcher, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as astronomy or engineering. This is followed by a graduate degree in physics, usually at the master's or doctoral level.

2. What skills are important for a physics researcher?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, a physics researcher should have critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a curious and creative mind. Good communication and computer skills are also important for conducting research and presenting findings.

3. How can I gain research experience in physics?

One way to gain research experience in physics is to participate in undergraduate research programs or internships. You can also volunteer to work in a research lab at your university or seek out research opportunities through professional organizations or government agencies.

4. Is it necessary to have a PhD to become a physics researcher?

While a PhD is not always required to become a physics researcher, having a doctoral degree can greatly enhance your career prospects and open up opportunities for more advanced research positions in academia or industry.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physics researchers?

My advice for aspiring physics researchers is to pursue your passion for the subject and never stop learning. Seek out mentors and network with other researchers in your field. Don't be afraid to take on challenging projects and always be open to new ideas and perspectives. It's also important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and be persistent in the face of setbacks.