Physics REU at University Park

In summary, the speaker has applied to the physics REU at their university and has sent in 3 letters of recommendation and their transcript. They have a Cum GPA of 3.83 and have completed several relevant courses as a freshman. The deadline has passed but they have not heard back yet. They are wondering if they have a chance of being selected and when they can expect to receive a response. The advice is to directly ask the REU administrator for more information.
dsb5092
I applied to the physics REU at University Park where i attend school. I sent in 3 letters of recommendation and sent my transcript. My Cum GPA is 3.83.

I am a freshman, but have completed Calc I,II,II, Linear Algebra, Dif. Equations and 2 physics (Mechanics, and Electricity and Magnetism).

The deadline was March 1st, but i still have no word.

Do i have a chance of being picked, and how much longer will I have to wait before i know?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should just go ask whoever the REU administrator is since you are right at the school anyways... how can we give you any better advice than the administrator of the programs?

for sharing your experience with us! It sounds like you have a strong academic background and have taken on challenging courses in your first year of college. The fact that you have already completed multiple physics courses is impressive and shows your dedication to the subject.

As for your chances of being selected, it is difficult to say for certain as the selection process for REUs can vary. However, with your strong GPA and relevant coursework, you definitely have a good chance of being chosen.

As for the timeline, it is not uncommon for REU programs to take some time to review applications and make decisions. I would recommend reaching out to the program coordinator or checking their website for any updates on the selection process. It is also possible that the program may have been delayed due to the current global situation, so it is important to be patient and understanding during this time.

Overall, I wish you the best of luck with your application and hope you are selected for the program. Keep up the hard work and passion for physics!

1. What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program designed to provide research opportunities for undergraduate students in various fields of science and engineering. It allows students to work closely with faculty mentors and gain hands-on experience in a research setting.

2. What is the Physics REU at University Park?

The Physics REU at University Park is a program specifically for undergraduate students interested in physics. It is hosted by the Department of Physics at Penn State University and offers students the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research projects in a variety of physics disciplines.

3. Who is eligible to apply for the Physics REU at University Park?

The Physics REU at University Park is open to undergraduate students from any college or university, regardless of their major. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, have completed at least two years of college coursework, and have a strong interest in physics research.

4. What kind of research projects are available through the Physics REU at University Park?

The Physics REU at University Park offers a wide range of research projects in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, high energy physics, and more. Students can choose a project that aligns with their interests and work closely with faculty mentors to conduct research and present their findings.

5. Is there financial support available for participants in the Physics REU at University Park?

Yes, participants in the Physics REU at University Park receive a stipend of $5,000 for the 10-week program, as well as housing and meal allowances. In addition, a limited number of travel grants are available to help cover the cost of transportation to and from University Park.