• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics REUs for 2011

• Thread starter Spriteling
  • Start date
Could more people list where they've been accepted to so others can get a better idea of which places have responded so far?

One of my friends got into UMich and Georgetown and I think Kansas? She got into some more after that, but she'd already accepted Georgetown. This was a week or two ago.

Just got an email from LIGO saying that I was placed on a wait list. I understand that this is not an outright rejection, but does anyone have any experience of being accepted from the waiting list ?

Two applications, PPPL NUF (top choice) and SULI (PPPL and Los Alamos). Really want to do plasma, and my research group has some collaborators at PPPL, so I could start a project there and continue it during the school year (if necessary). Crossing my fingers! (Haven't heard anything yet >.>)

Accepted by PPPL NUF also

Also got into the NUF, I'll be spending the summer doing a theory project at Princeton.

I also got into PPPL NUF, but I haven't been matched with a site yet.

Accepted:
Princeton (MIRTHE)
Georgetown

Rejected:
LSU
UWash
TCU

Still waiting to hear back from a few others. I already said no to Georgetown, so unless I get a spectacular offer somewhere else before the deadline, I'll be at Princeton.

Last edited:
Is it normal to get rejection letters from the places you've applied?

So far, the only response I've gotten back is a rejection email from SETI. Drexel comes out on April 1st, I haven't heard a thing from Michigan, SULI is still in the second round (I didn't get accepted in the first round), and I haven't heard anything from any of the 12 NASA positions I applied for through their OSSI:SOLAR system. However, for NASA the applications only closed on March 15th, so I expect they'll be after April 1st as well.

Jack, that is peculiar. I was under the impression that NASA principal investigators would have already made their decisions before the deadline. I got an email from one at JPL wondering if I was interested in his project, and he told me that the way it works is that they request that the PI's send a list of 5 students ranked from best choice to ...less best choice... and then they would be picking that way (plus remembering after 5 days an offer expires and goes to the next person).

Since I wasn't offered the day after March 15th, I assumed I wasn't going to get an offer.

Also to note, I wasn't accepted to Rochester or RPI. I'm a first year student, if anyone was wondering.

hadsed, did Rochester send you an actual rejection e-mail? I applied but I haven't heard anything back yet :S

Simfish
Gold Member
Does anyone know if any REUs take students in between undergrad and grad?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
They do not. (Or rather, they are not supposed to)

Cider: I emailed one of the professors I was talking to. I got forwarded to the admissions person, and they told me their positions were just about full. So I would guess if you haven't gotten something yet, you might just assume that you won't get an acceptance. This was a couple of weeks ago as well.

Jack, that is peculiar. I was under the impression that NASA principal investigators would have already made their decisions before the deadline. I got an email from one at JPL wondering if I was interested in his project, and he told me that the way it works is that they request that the PI's send a list of 5 students ranked from best choice to ...less best choice... and then they would be picking that way (plus remembering after 5 days an offer expires and goes to the next person).

Since I wasn't offered the day after March 15th, I assumed I wasn't going to get an offer.

Also to note, I wasn't accepted to Rochester or RPI. I'm a first year student, if anyone was wondering.
It wouldn't make sense for them to have already made their decisions before everybody's even applied, but I suppose it's possible.

It's starting to look like I'll be selling mattresses again this summer. :(

I received an acceptance from CREOL (UCF Optics) this morning.
Anyone gone through this REU before or know any stories?

New member, first post. I thought I might chime in about my REU experience.

I was accepted by Princeton (PPPL) this year. I also got an offer from JLab. I went with Princeton, and just recently got my placement at General Atomics in San Diego. More than a dream come true! A week at PPPL taking a crash course in Plasma Physics followed by a summer at top-notch research facility.....in Cali! (You have to understand, I've spent most of my life in the northeast)

Last year I was in the University of Rochester REU in their optics department. Great experience, lots of interesting people and a solid summers worth of research.

I also research at my home university during the academic year doing some solid state research. My plan is to run the table, and eventually figure out what field I want to be in. Then apply to grad school, get a PhD and hopefully get a job.

With regards to rejection letters. When I applied last year, of the places I received rejections from, only about half of them ever told me and I just assumed that I was rejected from the other ones. This year, in contrast, I have yet to receive a single rejection letter! Just one acceptance that I've already accepted since it was my top choice, and I haven't heard anything from anywhere else.