• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics REUs

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
I just received a rejection from UCSD yesterday. Im really quite bummed about that since it was my #1 choice. So far that makes 2 rejections and 4 MIA. :(

as i am really interested for the summer research and don't want to stay in my college, is there any lab, Uni, Community in california where i can help on some research for free.. or any idea for independent study??? m pisssssed

I still have not heard from 3 of the 6 REUs I applied to. Is this normal?

Vid
I think some of the programs this year may still be waiting to here from NSF about funding.

How is it ethical are even legal to "accept" hundreds of time-consuming applications for a research program that has not even been funded. Don't you think they should warn the applicants that their funding is not secure or something? I would be really annoyed if I find out I applied to an REU that is not happening this summer.

Vid
Most of the sites mention that the program is dependent on funding from the NSF.

How is it ethical are even legal to "accept" hundreds of time-consuming applications for a research program that has not even been funded. Don't you think they should warn the applicants that their funding is not secure or something? I would be really annoyed if I find out I applied to an REU that is not happening this summer.
The applications are free. Also, they may not find out soon enough, so it'd be easier for them to just assume they were funded.

I too have not heard back from 2 REUs yet. At this point though I am pretty much accepting it as a denial, since many of those programs start within weeks.

If you haven't heard back in a timely fashion, you should ask about your status. Many REUs don't bother to send out rejections.