1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics room re-construction

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    I am not sure where this question fit. But I decided to post it here.

This question is about the physics classroom/lab re-construction in my school. I am a new professor and I am taking the main role of re-designing it. We are transforming a biology classroom/lab into physics classroom/lab. The teacher table in front of the class currently has gas, air and vacuum outlets in addition to a sink with cold and hot water faucets. My questions is, from your experience, do I need to keep the air,gas vacuum outlets. It just bothers me! I like a clean look and these outlets and the sink is making it un-attractive. Note that we have a separate bigger sink in another part of the room, so I can get water if I want to.

Please feel free to write your thoughts. I will make the decision. - I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Gamma

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For what classes will this room be used?

4. May 28, 2014 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you envision yourself (or any other physics instructor who might use the room for lectures) using these things for demonstrations in lectures (separate from labs)?

5. May 28, 2014 #4
    I have never used them. Other instructors might use them. I might ask the school if those could be mounted on the side of the teacher station. I have never seen such a configuration. But nothing is impossible. Or I will ask if those could be mounted in a way that it is covered by a top cover and only when needed top cover can be lifted to expose the faucets. These are some ideas popping right now as I am replying to you.

Do any instructor here use these stuff? Or are they old fashion? Are their modern alternatives? I want my lab to be modern. Thank you!

6. Jun 2, 2014 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I could imagine situations when I would use all, some, or none of those lines- again, for what specific class(es) are you designing the room for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook