Do Physics Classrooms Need Gas, Air, and Vacuum Outlets?

• Thread starter Gamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The room will primarily be used for physics courses, though I could see it being used for other classes in the future. Right now, there are no other instructors who plan to use the room for lectures. However, it is possible that in the future, other instructors might use the room for lectures. However, there are modern alternatives to these types of outlets and sinks.
Gamma
I am not sure where this question fit. But I decided to post it here.

This question is about the physics classroom/lab re-construction in my school. I am a new professor and I am taking the main role of re-designing it. We are transforming a biology classroom/lab into physics classroom/lab. The teacher table in front of the class currently has gas, air and vacuum outlets in addition to a sink with cold and hot water faucets. My questions is, from your experience, do I need to keep the air,gas vacuum outlets. It just bothers me! I like a clean look and these outlets and the sink is making it un-attractive. Note that we have a separate bigger sink in another part of the room, so I can get water if I want to.

Please feel free to write your thoughts. I will make the decision. - I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Gamma

Science news on Phys.org
Gamma said:
This question is about the physics classroom/lab re-construction in my school. I am a new professor and I am taking the main role of re-designing it. We are transforming a biology classroom/lab into physics classroom/lab. The teacher table in front of the class currently has gas, air and vacuum outlets in addition to a sink with cold and hot water faucets. My questions is, from your experience, do I need to keep the air,gas vacuum outlets. It just bothers me! I like a clean look and these outlets and the sink is making it un-attractive. Note that we have a separate bigger sink in another part of the room, so I can get water if I want to.

Can you envision yourself (or any other physics instructor who might use the room for lectures) using these things for demonstrations in lectures (separate from labs)?

I have never used them. Other instructors might use them. I might ask the school if those could be mounted on the side of the teacher station. I have never seen such a configuration. But nothing is impossible. Or I will ask if those could be mounted in a way that it is covered by a top cover and only when needed top cover can be lifted to expose the faucets. These are some ideas popping right now as I am replying to you.

Do any instructor here use these stuff? Or are they old fashion? Are their modern alternatives? I want my lab to be modern. Thank you!

I could imagine situations when I would use all, some, or none of those lines- again, for what specific class(es) are you designing the room for?

1. What is "Physics room re-construction"?

"Physics room re-construction" refers to the process of renovating or rebuilding a room specifically designed for conducting experiments and research in physics. This may involve upgrading equipment, changing the layout of the room, or implementing new safety measures.

2. Why is re-construction necessary for a physics room?

Re-construction may be necessary for a physics room if the current space is outdated, unsafe, or not conducive to conducting experiments. It may also be needed to accommodate new equipment or research projects.

3. How long does a physics room re-construction usually take?

The time it takes to re-construct a physics room can vary depending on the extent of the renovations and the size of the room. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

4. What are some common safety measures implemented during a physics room re-construction?

Some common safety measures include installing proper ventilation systems, ensuring the room is properly grounded, and implementing protocols for handling hazardous materials or equipment.

5. How can I ensure that the re-construction of my physics room is done correctly?

You can ensure that the re-construction of your physics room is done correctly by hiring a reputable contractor with experience in building and renovating spaces for scientific research. It is also important to clearly communicate your needs and expectations to the contractor and regularly check in on the progress of the project.