1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Salary

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    Firstly let me say that I am not about to pick a career purely on salary and from what I have heard Physics isn't going to make me a millionaire. As I am very much certain of a job in physics or somehow related to physics whether it be in management or in engineering, I would like to know what type of salary to expect. I can understand that this can vary with both which field you go into and also what stage of your career you are at.

Could anyone provide some information on salary, even if it is quite a broad approximate. If it helps I am considering going into either Nuclear Physics, Astrophysics or Cosmology. I am located int he UK so any numbers from the UK I would expect would be a more accurate relfelction, though anything would be great.

Thanks!

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    What kind of position? Academic (lecturer/reader/professor), working in industry, working for the government, teaching non-University level, etc.?

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    I would like to work in a physics environment. An example would be working at a place like CERN or somewhere else where I can apply my knowledge and expertise to either research or development of something.

I have considered education but that would be later in my career and probably be at a non-university level.

5. Mar 1, 2008 #4
    1500 euros to start, per month and after taxes. AT BEST !!!

marlon

6. Mar 1, 2008 #5
    I have read froms oem sources that it is like £30,000 a year and some even say £50,000 but these are probably after a long time. Marlon, would I then be correct in say that starting off can prove quite difficult in terms of money?

7. Mar 1, 2008 #6
    Difficult ? How ?

marlon

8. Mar 1, 2008 #7
    In comparison to another job, say for example one in accountancy there is a marked difference in your starting salary. My passion lies in physics so salary is irrelevant in terms of deciding whether to follow physics further or not.

9. Mar 1, 2008 #8
    Then why comparing to other jobs ? It doesn't matter right ?

Who cares ?

marlon

10. Mar 1, 2008 #9
    No. I would like to know how much I would earn following a particular career. I would find it difficult to judge how it is paid when it is just a number, so I would like to compare it to another profession so that it gives me an idea of how much we are talking about.

You have said 1500 Euros per month, to start off with, I have read that some jobs can get upto the £40/50,000 mark and was wondering if this is actually the case.

Thanks for you help so far though marlon. :smile:

11. Mar 1, 2008 #10
    All i know is that banking pays much better than research :)

marlon

edit : well, if you have a good position in this bank

12. Mar 1, 2008 #11
    I am taking business classes, but my interest really lies in Physics though as I am sure is the case with alot of people thier careers go down a different path. :smile:

13. Mar 1, 2008 #12
    Just follow your heart man...I am sure you will turn out fine.

marlon

14. Mar 1, 2008 #13
    Cheers Marlon.

Will you be in chat tomorrow?

15. Mar 1, 2008 #14
    i will be chatting yes, if Moonbear gves me permission

marlon

16. Mar 1, 2008 #15
    Why do you need permission?

I should pop in for a few hours I think.

17. Mar 1, 2008 #16
    I have been looking at some university courses. I have found one that is a 3 year course and has both Physics and Business Studies merged into one course. I would have thought doing two subjects would limit the amount of work done compared to a degree in only the one subject. Would this hinder my job prospects? I think Business Skills can be applied to most fields and so may prove useful.

18. Mar 1, 2008 #17
    The average salary of a prof at my university is $115,000 a year. And thats low as a country standard I believe. (Canada)

19. Mar 1, 2008 #18
    Wow.

Wow, the would mean that physicists have a much better opportunity (salary wise) in Canada rather then USA...(I compared it with some salary info websites and surveys)

:smile:

20. Mar 2, 2008 #19
    I just read that in our school paper, it includes all professors, so I am not sure where physics profs fit in, but I'm sure its not too far off that. I would think law and business may be paid more, but I'm not sure.

21. Mar 2, 2008 #20
    actually a combined degree in business and physics may put you in a good position for a position (managerial) in an industrial company

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?