What is the Salary for a Physics Scientist in the US or Canada?

In summary, the speaker is from Iran and aspires to pursue a career in physics in the US or Canada, but is unable to due to financial constraints. They feel frustrated by the lack of opportunities in their current situation and are scared about their future prospects. They are particularly interested in studying astrophysics or cosmology and potentially working for organizations like SpaceX or NASA. They are seeking advice on the right job for them and whether their income will be sufficient for a good life. A good resource for data on physics careers is provided.
Arya888
Hello I'm from Iran
I love physics And I want to continue in physics and go to the US or Canada but because of my current financial situation I can't and I'm trying to leave Iran.

But when I read about the rights and benefits of physics everywhere in the world, I get frustrated, not like my life is now, I want to make a difference but continue in the field of physics. But I am very scared, can you help me

If I can't, what's the right job for me, or will my income be fine to buy car house and make a good life After overall tolerating the problem ?
Specially I want study about astrophysics or cosmology maby go to SpaceX or NASA

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Dale

1. What is the average salary for a physics scientist?

The average salary for a physics scientist varies depending on factors such as experience, location, and employer. However, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 in May 2020 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2. How much does a physics scientist make with a PhD?

Having a PhD in physics can significantly increase a scientist's salary. According to a survey by the American Institute of Physics, the median salary for physicists with a PhD in 2020 was $130,000.

3. What industries offer the highest salaries for physics scientists?

The highest paying industries for physics scientists include research and development in physical, engineering, and life sciences, as well as federal government agencies such as the Department of Energy and NASA.

4. Is there a gender pay gap among physics scientists?

Unfortunately, there is a gender pay gap in the field of physics. According to a study by the American Physical Society, the average salary for women physicists is about 18% less than their male counterparts. This gap is even wider for women of color.

5. How does a physics scientist's salary change over time?

The salary of a physics scientist typically increases with experience and career advancement. According to the American Institute of Physics, physicists with 0-3 years of experience have a median salary of $75,000, while those with 31+ years of experience have a median salary of $165,000.