Which Engineering Field Best Models Physical Systems: Electrical or Mechanical?

In summary, the conversation discusses the valuable analysis skills that can be learned through studying physics, and the question of whether it is better to learn modeling of physical systems through electrical engineering or mechanical engineering. Both fields involve modeling and problem-solving, but mechanical engineering may be more visual and tangible while electrical engineering deals with more abstract concepts. Ultimately, the choice between the two fields depends on personal preference and the type of modeling one is interested in.
Lacero
I am aware of the very valuable analysis skills physics teaches. A physics major may not be possible for me so with your experience with physics or electrical engineering, would you say you learn how to model physical systems better with electrical engineering or with mechanical engineering? It seems mechancial uses ode's and pde's more than electrical.

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant to say, mathematical and scientific modelling.

I think it's a wise choice to go into modelling, it's the cooler jobs, or so I've heard from alumni. The guys that do the modelling are the real brainiacs. And I think that it's really tough and also rewarding.

Both in mechanical and electrical you have a lot of modelling and solveing problems with FEM and (the less used?) FDM.

It really boils down to what you really really want to do and what you want to model.

Mechanical engineering has more real life things you can see and visualize when you are modeling. Electrical on the other hand deals with a few abstract ideas and principles that are not as straight forward. I think either would be sufficient for scientific modeling but just differ in the types or how abstract.

1. What is modelling in physics?

Modelling in physics refers to the process of creating simplified representations of physical systems in order to understand their behavior and make predictions. This can involve using mathematical equations, computer simulations, or physical models to study and analyze complex phenomena.

2. What skills are needed for modelling in physics?

To be successful in modelling in physics, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge of programming and computer simulation software is often necessary for creating and analyzing models. Good critical thinking and analytical skills are also important for interpreting and drawing conclusions from the results of a model.

3. How is modelling used in physics?

Modelling is used in physics to study and understand a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the movement of planets and galaxies. It is also used in engineering and technology to design and optimize systems and processes. Models allow scientists to make predictions, test hypotheses, and gain insights into the underlying principles of the physical world.

4. What are the limitations of modelling in physics?

Modelling in physics has its limitations and can only provide an approximation of reality. This is because models often simplify and idealize complex systems, and may not take into account all relevant factors. Additionally, models are only as accurate as the data and assumptions used to create them. Therefore, it is important for scientists to carefully consider the limitations of their models and interpret their results accordingly.

5. How can one improve their modelling skills in physics?

To improve modelling skills in physics, one should practice regularly and seek feedback from peers and mentors. It is also helpful to keep up-to-date with the latest advancements in technology and techniques used in modelling. Additionally, studying and understanding the underlying principles and theories of physics can aid in creating more accurate and meaningful models.