Physics Specializations: Exploring High Energy Quantum Physics at UCSD

• Thread starter complexPHILOSOPHY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I am retained through graduate school. In summary, the author is attending a community college and is working on completing lower-division physics and mathematics courses to prepare for transferring to a university. He is considering a number of different options for his future including majoring in theoretical high energy physics, but is unsure of what to focus on. He is uncertain about what type of physics he would like to pursue after completing undergraduate studies and is seeking advice. He is confident in his ability and is looking to further his education in the future.
complexPHILOSOPHY
I am currently attending a community college in San Diego working through the lower-division physics and mathematics courses. I have a transfer contract with UCSD, which means after I have attained 64-credits, I will transfer into their university. I am working independently on my physics and maths using several different texts and constructing binders filled with detailed notes, related to specific courses. I am working really hard so that I can hopefully be considered a top math and physics student once I transfer (although, I have no idea what the competition is like once I transfer -- it's extremely poor at the cc level).

I have looked through UCSD's physics major but I am still not sure what I should be working towards. I have an interest in theoretical high energy quantum physics (although my knowledge of it is completely basic and vague) but I have a passion and desire for mathematically heavy theoretical physics. I can't seem to find a 'specialization' that describes the style of physics that I want to do so if anyone is willing to take a few minutes and look through this course outline and possibly give me some advice, that would be tight.

I had considered possibly majoring in computational physics to ensure employment security if I can't find a solid post-doc position (assuming I am retained through graduate school after undergrad) and then doing theoretical high energy in graduate school.

Here is the link to the course outline:

http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog/pdffiles/Physics.pdf

Any other advice regarding my questions or corrections about any misunderstands that I may have, would also be appreciated.

Peace homies!

-BonG RiPPP-

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, complexPHILOSOPHY (bonG RiPPP?)

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
I am currently attending a community college in San Diego working through the lower-division physics and mathematics courses. I have a transfer contract with UCSD, which means after I have attained 64-credits, I will transfer into their university. I am working independently on my physics and maths using several different texts and constructing binders filled with detailed notes, related to specific courses. I am working really hard so that I can hopefully be considered a top math and physics student once I transfer (although, I have no idea what the competition is like once I transfer -- it's extremely poor at the cc level).

Well, you're lucky: UCSD has one of the leading math departments in the U.S., but I'd guess that few students exhibit as much discipline as you have done, so you'll probably really hit your stride once you start attending higher math courses at UCSD.

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
I can't seem to find a 'specialization' that describes the style of physics that I want to do so if anyone is willing to take a few minutes and look through this course outline and possibly give me some advice, that would be tight.

These days mathematicians do theoretical physics and vice versa, so it might help to recognize that to some extent it might not matter whether you wind up aiming at a graduate program in math or physics. Studying mathematics of course allows you to more easily broaden your horizons should you wind up getting interested in say economics or biology.

complexPHILOSOPHY said:
I had considered possibly majoring in computational physics to ensure employment security if I can't find a solid post-doc position (assuming I am retained through graduate school after undergrad) and then doing theoretical high energy in graduate school.

Something didn't quite make sense there, but in any case you are probably getting a bit ahead of yourself. Still, having a rough plan of what you might do after graduating (we hope!) with an undergraduate degree in math/physics is not a bad idea, and something related to applied mathematics or applicable physics (biophysics seems to be getting hot--- see "protein folding") is probably a good career move. But I'd warn you that nothing can guarantee success, so you should expect to take it day by day.

I would like to second Chris's comments. Based on the tone of your OP, you have the intelligence, presence and motivation to do well at a 4-year college. Keep it up!

Something didn't quite make sense there, but in any case you are probably getting a bit ahead of yourself. Still, having a rough plan of what you might do after graduating (we hope!) with an undergraduate degree in math/physics is not a bad idea, and something related to applied mathematics or applicable physics (biophysics seems to be getting hot--- see "protein folding") is probably a good career move. But I'd warn you that nothing can guarantee success, so you should expect to take it day by day.

What I was trying express was a question concerning the possibility of majoring in computational physics and mathematics and then continuing to graduate school for theoretical (mathematically heavy) physics. If this is a possibility, would this be a better selection then doing a mathematically based physics program (assuming UCSD has one) engineered more for theory or would the former benefit me more?

The reason that I had considered computational physics was incase I completed my PhD and was unable to receive a job afterwards, I would hopefully atleast be regarded as a resource in the industry for my modeling abilities.

What do you think?

Last edited:
complexPHILOSOPHY said:
What do you think?

I think that once you get to UCSD you should seek out a mentor and get advice from someone who is familiar with opportunities at that university.

1. What is High Energy Quantum Physics?

High Energy Quantum Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of subatomic particles at extremely high energies. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. What is the significance of studying High Energy Quantum Physics?

Studying High Energy Quantum Physics helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works at its most basic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, technology, and energy production.

3. What is the focus of UCSD's Physics Specializations in High Energy Quantum Physics?

UCSD's Physics Specializations in High Energy Quantum Physics focuses on the study of particle physics and the exploration of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. Students will learn about cutting-edge research and techniques in this field.

4. What are the career opportunities for students specializing in High Energy Quantum Physics?

Students who specialize in High Energy Quantum Physics can pursue careers in research, academia, and industry. They can work in fields such as particle physics, nuclear engineering, and quantum computing.

5. What are the prerequisites for studying High Energy Quantum Physics at UCSD?

Students interested in studying High Energy Quantum Physics at UCSD should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, including courses in calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They should also have a strong interest in theoretical and experimental physics.