Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics speed mph question

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    :bugeye:
    I thought the answer was 90mph, but my friend says it's wrong. I just can't figure out any other answer. :cry:

could someone please help me? :shy:
    ----
    You drive to the store which is a 2 mile trip. In the first mile you average 30 mph, how fast must you drive the second mile in order to average 60mph for the entire 2 mile trip?
    ----

thnx
    Jennifer :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have thought it would have been an average 90mph in the 2nd mile as well :confused:

4. Dec 12, 2004 #3
    Nobody? :frown:

5. Dec 12, 2004 #4
    If your average speed for the trip were 60 mph, it would take you 2 minutes to complete the entire trip. Thus you have to drive fast enough on the second leg to complete the trip in 2 minutes.

However if you only drive at 30 mph for the first mile then it you will already have taken 2 minutes; no matter how fast you drive for the second mile, you'll take longer than 2 minutes so you can't actually average 60 mph for the whole trip.

Note that this is because "average speed = distance travelled / travel time" and not the average of all the speeds over each segment.

6. Dec 12, 2004 #5
    thnx! That makes sense! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?