Physics static electricity help

In summary, the speaker is new to a forum and is seeking help with questions related to static electricity. They are unsure about how to prove the charge of an electroscope, what happens when a positively charged glass rod is held near it, and why a charged rubber rod will eventually stop attracting a piece of paper. They mention difficulties with their correspondence course and difficulty reaching their teacher for help.
shanktank
hey all,
i'm new to the forum...just finished up the momentum and energy unit and now were on to static electricity...i was hopin i could get a bit of help with a couple questions i have:

3. A negatively charged rubber rod is momentarily touched to the knob of a neutral electroscope and then removed.
...i've gotten to the e) part of this question.
e) How could you prove that the electroscope has a negative charge?

4. A positively charged glass rod is held near the knob of a neutral electroscope.
d) Explain what happens to the leaves?
...well i figure the knob has a negative charge, the leaves have a positive charge...thus, the leaves should come together?
e)Explain what happens if the knob is grounded?
I have no idea with this one...
f) Explain what happens to the electroscope if the ground is removed and then the glass rod is removed?
Again no idea...

and finally
8 a) It is observed that a charged rubber rod will attract a small piece of paper. Explain how this occurs?
...I assume because the charged rubber rod is either negatively or positively charged, and the paper is the oppositely charged?
b) Eventually the rubber rod will "spit" the piece of paper away and will not attract anymore. Explain why this occurs?
...Once the electrons are done transferrin in the rubber rod then the chargin is done or something? haha not to sure...

Thanks for the help, never done anythin with this topic, and I'm doing it through correspondance and teachers seem to be impossible to get a hold of on the phone..
Shane

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not nesscary to double post. I have just replied to your original post. :smile:

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electricity that is created when two objects rub against each other, causing a build-up of electric charges on their surface. These charges can either be positive or negative, and they can create a spark or shock when discharged.

2. How is static electricity different from current electricity?

Static electricity is different from current electricity in that it does not flow continuously like current electricity. Instead, it is a temporary build-up of electric charges that are held in place until they are discharged. Current electricity, on the other hand, is a continuous flow of electric charges through a conductor.

3. What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by the transfer of electrons between two objects. When two objects rub against each other, electrons from one object can transfer to the other, creating an imbalance of electric charges and resulting in static electricity.

4. How does static electricity impact our daily lives?

Static electricity can impact our daily lives in many ways. For example, it can cause clothes to cling together in the dryer, make our hair stand on end, and create a shock when touching a metal object. It can also be harnessed for practical purposes, such as in electrostatic air filters and photocopying machines.

5. How can static electricity be controlled or prevented?

There are several ways to control or prevent static electricity, such as using anti-static products, keeping the humidity levels in your environment balanced, and wearing clothing made of natural materials. Additionally, grounding or discharging objects can also help to prevent static electricity build-up.