1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics: Statics Problem

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1
    Hey, I'm having a lot of trouble with this physics homework problem:
    The cords BCA and CD can each support a max load of 100 lbs. Determine the max weight of the crate that can be hoisted at constant velocity, and the angle theta for equilibrium.

The picture shows B attached to a pulley on the ground, rising up to point C which is a second, higher pulley suspended by a rope anchored from above at point D. Dropping to the other side of the pulley is the remainder of the rope from B to C, which happens to be point A, suspending a crate. The angle between the rope segment BC and the ground (x axis) is 67.4 degrees. The unknown angle, theta, is the angle that rope segment CD makes with the x axis.

I really hope my description of the picture made sense. Can anyone help me get started?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted