Physics: Choosing Between Stevens Institute of Technology or NYU for Your Major

• Thread starter Christine90NY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision of where to major in physics, with the options being Stevens Institute of Technology or NYU. One person suggests that Stevens would be a better choice if studying engineering, but it is unclear if it is also strong in physics. Another person mentions that Columbia is stronger in physics than NYU, but the original speaker doubts their chances of getting into Columbia. The conversation also touches on the expense of living in New York and the fun atmosphere of NYU's campus in the Village. Ultimately, it is suggested that NYU would be the better choice for the original speaker, as they could commute and also have a good math department.
Christine90NY
I plan on majoring in physics. Where would I be better off - Stevens Institute of Technology or NYU? If I was doing engineering I'd go for Stevens for sure...but is Stevens good for physics too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Christine90NY said:
I plan on majoring in physics. Where would I be better off - Stevens Institute of Technology or NYU? If I was doing engineering I'd go for Stevens for sure...but is Stevens good for physics too?
In NYU you may have very interesting and entertaining time behind your major. In Stevens you would live in Hoboken... so, up to you.

It seems to me that Columbia is stronger in Physics than NYU.

Bright said:
In NYU you may have very interesting and entertaining time behind your major. In Stevens you would live in Hoboken... so, up to you.

It seems to me that Columbia is stronger in Physics than NYU.

The problem there is that there's no way I'd make it into Columbia...

FYI: http://chronicle.com/news/article/2832/merger-talks-resume-between-nyu-and-polytechnic-u

NYU has a good Math department as well: http://math.nyu.edu/

Certainly, it would be expensive to live in that part of NY... but the Village is a lot of fun.

Christine90NY, I see you took my advice on coming here :)

NYU, hands down!

user101 said:
Christine90NY, I see you took my advice on coming here :)

Yes, and thank you! :)

robphy said:
FYI: http://chronicle.com/news/article/2832/merger-talks-resume-between-nyu-and-polytechnic-u

NYU has a good Math department as well: http://math.nyu.edu/

Certainly, it would be expensive to live in that part of NY... but the Village is a lot of fun.

Thanks! If its NYU, I live close enough to commute.

1. What is the difference between the Physics programs at Stevens and NYU?

The Physics programs at Stevens and NYU have many similarities, such as a strong focus on theoretical and experimental physics, as well as a diverse range of research opportunities. However, Stevens has a smaller class size and a more hands-on approach to learning, while NYU has a larger program with more opportunities for interdisciplinary studies.

2. Which university has a better reputation for Physics?

Both Stevens and NYU have excellent reputations for their Physics programs. Stevens has been ranked as one of the top 100 universities in the world for Physics by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, while NYU's Physics department has been consistently ranked in the top 20 by U.S. News & World Report.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available at Stevens and NYU?

Both Stevens and NYU have a wide range of research opportunities for students, including projects in astrophysics, quantum physics, materials science, and more. Stevens also has a unique partnership with nearby national laboratories, providing students with even more opportunities for hands-on research experience.

4. Can I major in Physics at both Stevens and NYU?

Yes, both Stevens and NYU offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in Physics. Students at both universities have the opportunity to specialize in different areas of Physics, such as theoretical, experimental, or applied physics.

5. What kind of career opportunities are available for Physics graduates from Stevens and NYU?

Physics graduates from both Stevens and NYU are highly sought after in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, and research. Many graduates also go on to pursue graduate studies in Physics or related fields.