Physics: strange vector hw problem

In summary, the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand on a watch from 8-8:20 am can be expressed as DeltaR_x, DeltaR_y, where the x and y components are separated by a comma. To find the components, one must draw the displacement vector from the tip of the minute hand at 8:00 to the tip of the minute hand at 8:20 and determine the angle the minute hand makes with the horizontal at 8:20. Since the minute hand moves 360 degrees in an hour and 5 minutes is 1/12 of an hour, it moves 1/12 of 360 degrees or 30 degrees in 5 minutes. This information is important in calculating
oldunion
The minute hand on a watch is 2.0cm in length. What is the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand?

from 8-8:20 am.

Express vector DeltaR in the form DeltaR_x, DeltaR_y, where the x and y components are separated by a comma.

I thought i had it with the answer of 3.4 cm, but they want it in x and y components :confused: its a circle! My book has nothing for me and I am significantly lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
The displacement vector points from the starting location to the final location, it is a straight line. It's just an arrow pointing from start to finish, break this vector into components.

Draw the displacement vector from the tip of the minute hand at 8:00 to the tip of the minute hand at 8:20.

Actually it might be simplest to do this in components. The "components" of the minute hand at 8:00 are easy. What angle does the minute hand make with the horizontal at 8:20? (Hint: the minute hand move 360 degrees in an your and 5 minutes is 5/60= 1/12 of an hour. How many degrees does the minute hand move in 5 minutes? Why is "5 minutes" important here?)

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. What makes a vector "strange" in physics?

In physics, a strange vector refers to a vector that is not aligned with the traditional x, y, or z axes. This can make it more challenging to solve problems involving these vectors.

3. How do you solve a strange vector problem in physics?

To solve a strange vector problem in physics, you will need to break down the vector into its components using trigonometry. Then, use vector addition and subtraction to combine these components and find the final magnitude and direction of the vector.

4. Can you give an example of a strange vector problem in physics?

Sure! An example of a strange vector problem in physics could be a ball rolling down a curved ramp. The force of gravity acting on the ball is a vector that is not aligned with the ramp's surface, making it a strange vector problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of using strange vectors in physics?

Strange vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a rocket in outer space, analyzing the forces acting on a car going around a curved track, or predicting the path of a ball thrown at an angle. They are also crucial in understanding and solving problems in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.