1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics: strange vector hw problem

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    The minute hand on a watch is 2.0cm in length. What is the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand?

from 8-8:20 am.

Express vector DeltaR in the form DeltaR_x, DeltaR_y, where the x and y components are separated by a comma.

I thought i had it with the answer of 3.4 cm, but they want it in x and y components :confused: its a circle! My book has nothing for me and im significantly lost.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2
    The displacement vector points from the starting location to the final location, it is a straight line. It's just an arrow pointing from start to finish, break this vector into components.
  4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Draw the displacement vector from the tip of the minute hand at 8:00 to the tip of the minute hand at 8:20.
  5. Sep 17, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually it might be simplest to do this in components. The "components" of the minute hand at 8:00 are easy. What angle does the minute hand make with the horizontal at 8:20? (Hint: the minute hand move 360 degrees in an your and 5 minutes is 5/60= 1/12 of an hour. How many degrees does the minute hand move in 5 minutes? Why is "5 minutes" important here?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?