• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Physics: strange vector hw problem

• Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
The minute hand on a watch is 2.0cm in length. What is the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand?

from 8-8:20 am.

Express vector DeltaR in the form DeltaR_x, DeltaR_y, where the x and y components are separated by a comma.

I thought i had it with the answer of 3.4 cm, but they want it in x and y components :confused: its a circle! My book has nothing for me and im significantly lost.

Answers and Replies

The displacement vector points from the starting location to the final location, it is a straight line. It's just an arrow pointing from start to finish, break this vector into components.

andrevdh
Homework Helper
Draw the displacement vector from the tip of the minute hand at 8:00 to the tip of the minute hand at 8:20.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Actually it might be simplest to do this in components. The "components" of the minute hand at 8:00 are easy. What angle does the minute hand make with the horizontal at 8:20? (Hint: the minute hand move 360 degrees in an your and 5 minutes is 5/60= 1/12 of an hour. How many degrees does the minute hand move in 5 minutes? Why is "5 minutes" important here?)