1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics sub-discipline help

1. May 28, 2005 #1
    Hello. I am enrolled for the UCSB summer research mentorship program and was interested in researching in the field of Physics... I was asked to pick a sub-discipline in physics which i might be interested in...

1) The question I had was, what are sub-disciplines in physics? are Thermodynamics, particle physics subdisciplines? If so, could someone list some more please?
    2) In which discipline would the research be most interesting or does it depend on personal preference?

I am not sure what I would want to do ...I am interested in Electricity and such but not sure if there might be other things that I might interest me which I cant think of at this time.

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2005 #2
    Since you are going to UCSB, your best bet is this:

And yes, what you would describe as "interesting" research is a purely personal preference. (And don't email any profs asking if their research is "interesting".)
  4. May 28, 2005 #3
    thanks for the link.. didnt think of that..

lol.. rest assured I wont :p

Btw, does nanotechnology come under physics or chemistry? That seemed like another field that seemed interesting..
  5. May 29, 2005 #4
  6. May 29, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Check this thread:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?