1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics takes too long?

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    I just spent about 3-4 hours on studying the first two sections on kinematics i read the section and practice the work book problems i am wondering is that bad?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2
    What matters is that you understand the material thoroughly. It's not a race.

4. Sep 17, 2014 #3

tjmiller88

Gold Member

Hi Jacobalg,

It would only be "bad" if you're not spending that time wisely.

From what I've found, the best use of your time in physics is:

(1) Deconstructing concepts (e.g. position, velocity, acceleration) in to a simple form that you can personally understand. I recommend doing this by going to lecture, watching youtube videos, or working backwards on example problems, and spending as little time reading the book as you feel comfortable.

(2) Doing practice problems from scratch. This builds your understanding of what concepts to use to solve problems, what equations to use, etc. and prepares you to repeat that same process on exams.

If you're spending your 3-4 hours on those two things, I think it's time well spent. Physics does require you to put in the hours, but not in the way most students think.

5. Sep 17, 2014 #4
    Doesn't sound like a trip to the fun fair :) Life's hard!

6. Sep 17, 2014 #5

Rocket50

Gold Member

If it an introductory book, the first few sections on kinematics should take to long (unless you're reading a very tough book) but if the problems are difficult, it really isn't too much time. As tjmller88 said, if you're using your time wisely, it isn't too much. Everyone takes different amounts of time to understand something and there is no "ideal" time that it should take.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook