Physics teacher has posted log questions

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with solving logarithm problems posted by their physics teacher. They have not used logarithms in 8 years and their teacher does not provide assistance. The speaker also clarifies that the problems are unrelated to their class and expresses gratitude for those who offered help. The conversation also includes a discussion on solving the given equations, with one person offering a solution and asking about the speaker's knowledge of logarithms. The speaker remembers that logs are the inverse and is confused by their teacher's focus on numbers.
lguzik
My physics teacher has posted log questions (for fun/frustration)almost every day. Having last had logs about 8 years ago, i have no clue how to solve for any of them. And seeing as how we don't actually use them in class, he won't help us figure them out. :bugeye: If anyone can offer me some solutions to these problems I would be so grateful...

In y=10^x
y=?
x=?

t=AB(1-q/q,)
q=?

z=10^e^x^2
x=?

(q/qsubd)=.2t/sec
q=?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I had logs 50 years ago and I still know how to do them. Is that supposed to be an excuse? have you still got the book you used?

(people here do not solve your exercises for you, they answer questions that show you have done some thinking.)

I'm afraid that your equations do not make too much sense,really.E.g.th first is clearly a function (y=y(x) or viceversa x=x(y)),so knowing/giving one means that you can find out the other...
Again for the third,it's the same problem.You'd find "x" as a function of "z"...And nothing more...

Anyway,what do you know about logarithms...?

Daniel.

I presume that by "In", you actually mean "ln", the natural logarithm.
In general, you can't solve one equation for TWO unknowns so the first problem makes no sense.

t= AB((1-q)/q) (the way you have it, the q's would cancel!)
doesn't have anything to do with logarithms.
qt= AB- ABq
qt+ ABq= Ab
q(t+ AB)= Ab

q= AB/(t+AB)

z= 10^(e^(x^2))
so log z= e^(x^2)
so ln(log z)= x^2 and then

x= sqrt(ln(log z))

Thank you for those of you who offered some help. Mathwonk, I suppose you have needed and used your knowledge of logs in the last 50 years. I do not have a math book at all, nor have I needed anything I learned in that class till now. I did not clearly state earlier, my teacher does not give these in relation to our class. They are just little blips he puts off to the side. I was merely asking for some help because they did not make any sense to me, and I would like to know how to solve them. As for Daniels question, the only thing i remember is that logs are the inverse, such that 1/ab=a^-1b^-1 ...My confusion lies in that my teacher seems to be looking for numbers. Again, thanks for some clarity on these.

1. What is the purpose of log questions in a physics class?

Log questions in a physics class are designed to reinforce and test students' understanding of key concepts and equations. They also encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How often should log questions be assigned in a physics class?

The frequency of log questions can vary depending on the teacher's preference, but they are typically assigned on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. This allows students to consistently practice and apply their knowledge throughout the course.

3. Are log questions graded or just for practice?

This can vary depending on the teacher's grading system. Some may use log questions as a form of formative assessment and provide feedback, while others may use them as a practice tool without assigning a grade.

4. Can log questions be completed collaboratively?

This is up to the discretion of the teacher. Some may allow students to work together on log questions, while others may prefer them to be completed individually to assess each student's understanding.

5. How can I use log questions to improve my understanding of physics?

Log questions are a great way to actively engage with the material and identify areas where you may need more practice. By consistently completing log questions and reviewing your mistakes, you can strengthen your understanding of physics concepts and improve your problem-solving skills.