1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics terms

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    hi its me again...

I just want to verify my work is correct so that my teacher wont claim its wrong...its a really simple matching activity...thanks in advance

Match following words with most appropriate description. Place the words for the term on the line beside the description.

Work, positive work, negative work, work-energy theorem, work-kinetic energy theorem, mechanical energy, kinetic energy, potential energy, gravitational potential energy, joule, conservative force, non-conservative force.

1. joule energy that is stored in by an object.

2. gravitational potential energy achieved by doing work against the force of gravity.

3. potential energy the transfer of mechanical energy.

4. kinetic energy the energy of motion.

5. mechanical energy combination of kinetic and potential energy.

6. work-kinetic energy theorem the special relationship between doing work on an object and
    the resulting kinetic energy of the object.
    7. negative work removes energy from an object.

8. positive work adds energy to an object.

9. conservative force when a force does work on an object and the amount of work
    done is independent of the path taken.

10. non-conservative force when a force does work on an object and the amount of work
    done is path-dependent.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Here's my two cents worth.

#1: A joule is a unit of energy. It does not necessarily need to be stored by the object. It can be an amount of energy required to do something, or an amount of energy created, etc...

#3: Your definition of Potential Energy needs work. Potential energy is a form of energy due solely to position or arrangement. It is not a transfer of energy.

#7: You may want to add that the net force doing the work is in the opposite direction as the displacement.

#8: You may want to add that the net force doing the work is in the same direction as the displacement.

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3
    im lost...i found those were the best ones that fit according to the choice of words we had above....my teachers defintions weren't clear so its hard to match...can someone tell where i went wrong and if so wat is the correct answer

5. Apr 12, 2005 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm lost, too, by which definition would best fit joule, which, as FredGarvin said, is a unit of measure.

Best among the definitions available for potential energy would be "energy that is stored in by an object".

That only leaves one choice for joule.

6. Apr 12, 2005 #5
    so what i have so far...does it look right?

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6
    1. Joule - unit of energy equal to applying a force of 1N across 1m.
    2. GPE - potential energy attained from being in a gravitational field
    3. PE - energy attained by being in a certain position or state
    5. ME - total amt of energy an object has.

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Whoops. Sorry. I didn't read the entire original post. I suppose that would help, wouldn't it? My bad.

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would swap 1 and 3. I wouldn't be very happy about it, but I'd do it nevertheless.

10. Apr 12, 2005 #9
    you guys are totally losing me! can someone please tell me what's wrong and what's right!! thanks

11. Apr 12, 2005 #10
    everything is right BUT just switch 1 and 3

12. Apr 12, 2005 #11
    ohh okay thanks!

13. Apr 12, 2005 #12
    how can joules be...the transfer of mechanical energy.

14. Apr 12, 2005 #13
    It isnt, joules is a unit of energy, but none of your definitions match this.

15. Apr 13, 2005 #14
    i know they dont...thats not the question tho...which one best matches them...there are more words above...check it out please

16. Apr 13, 2005 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

how can potential energy be...the transfer of mechanical energy ?

17. Apr 13, 2005 #16
    well it cant...but it cant be joule either theres a few more terms above....do they match...

18. Apr 13, 2005 #17
    Most the other terms fit their descriptor. Those two definitions arent accurate for either joule or potential energy.

19. Apr 13, 2005 #18
    i think you had best go with your original list - 1 and 3 are both unsatisfactory, but swapping them makes them more so.

adi

20. Apr 13, 2005 #19
    oh okay thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?