Physics Textbook - Halliday/Resnick/Krane vs Sears & Zemansky's

In summary, the individual has narrowed down their search for an introductory physics textbook to the options mentioned in the title. They are looking for a calculus-based text for self-study and would prefer a more conversational and engaging style, similar to Spivak's Calculus. They also mention their interest in the history of physics and plan to supplement their learning with The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Ultimately, they have decided to go with Sears and Zemansky's University Physics as it aligns with their preferred learning style.
Feryn
After researching through introductory physics textbooks, I've narrowed it down to the choices given in the title. Can someone tell me the highlights of both? I've looked through some of the threads in these forums, and both of them seem equally well regarded.

I'm looking for a through, calculus based text for self-study. As for prerequisites, I shall be coming to this after finishing Spivak's Calculus. I should prefer a more "fun" conversational text, over a dry one - while still being through. A bit of history of physics would be nice too. Sort of like how I prefer Spivak over Apostol.

Also, I shall be picking up The Feynman Lectures on Physics to read along with it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hey! Thanks for running this forum. Not to worry.

If anyone is interested, I've gone with Sears and Zemansky's University Physics, which seems to be more my learning style.

1. What are the main differences between the two textbooks?

The main difference between Halliday/Resnick/Krane and Sears & Zemansky's textbooks is their approach to teaching physics. Halliday/Resnick/Krane is known for its more conceptual and intuitive approach, while Sears & Zemansky's is known for its mathematical rigor. The former places a greater emphasis on real-world applications and problem-solving, while the latter focuses more on theoretical concepts and mathematical derivations.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners?

This largely depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Halliday/Resnick/Krane may be more suitable for beginners who need a more intuitive understanding of physics concepts, while Sears & Zemansky's may be better for those with a stronger math background and prefer a more formal approach.

3. Do both textbooks cover the same topics?

Yes, both textbooks cover the same topics in classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. However, the order in which these topics are presented may differ. Additionally, the level of depth and detail may also vary.

4. Which textbook is more up-to-date?

Halliday/Resnick/Krane is usually considered more up-to-date as it is regularly revised and updated to reflect new discoveries and advancements in the field of physics. Sears & Zemansky's, on the other hand, has not been updated as frequently and may have some outdated information.

5. Is one textbook better than the other overall?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual's preferences and needs. Both textbooks are highly respected and widely used in the field of physics, so it's best to evaluate which one aligns more with your learning style and goals.