Find Physics Textbooks for High-School Olympiad Preparation on Amazon

In summary, the speaker is a high school student in Romania looking for physics textbooks to prepare for regional/national olympics. They are considering the Demystified series, but are open to other suggestions. The speaker's teacher is retiring and the new teacher is not as good, so they need books to improve their problem-solving techniques. The speaker needs a problem book with solved problems on topics such as relativity, electromagnetic oscillations, wave optics, and quantum mechanics. The speaker is recommended "Problems in General Physics" by I.E. Irodov, as well as other advanced books such as "A Guide to Physics Problems" and "The Problems and Solutions on Physics" series by Lim. However, these books may not cover
hcm90
Hi!
I'm in the final year of high-school in Romania and I am looking for some physics textbooks, for my training for the regional/national olympics, I have to prepare alternating current, optics (wave part) and relativity. I want to buy the books from Amazon. I am thinking about Demystified series, but the reviews from Amazon aren't to good, so I am open at any proposal!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how far you want to learn and what kind of book you are looking for (e.g. textbook or physics problem book), but I think some introductory university-level physics textbooks, such as University Physics, Fundamental of Physics, might be helpful. Also, Feymann's Lectures on Physics is a very good one, but I'm not sure if you might need that for training.
However, to prepare for competition, you should concern more about solving problems. The solving techniques, most of the time, cannot be learned from textbooks. You should ask your teachers for advice :smile:

I need a physics problem book, especially solved problems.
I need for these topics:
-relativity (only restricted part)-lorentz transformations and consequences
-electromagnetic oscillations, Oscillating circuit
-wave optics: interference, diffraction, dispersion, polarization
-quatum mechanics: photoelectric effect
and about my teacher, she is retiring in November (2 months faster than the competitions), and the new teacher isn't so good, so I need the books to improve my techniques after my current teachers retirees.

I would strongly recommend you "Problems in General Physics" by I.E.Irodov, it's a little more difficult than introductory level, but not too hard. Some contest papers available on the internet, such as IPhO, USAPhO, might be helpful, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for contests at regional and national level in your country.
If you want some books that are really advanced, I would recommend you:
- A guide to physics problem
- The Problems and Solutions on Physics series by Lim
Again, I'm not sure about the level of the book you want...

P.S.: Those books don't cover all the topics you need. The topic might be there in the book under another bigger topic, or might not.

Hello there!

It's great to hear that you are preparing for the high-school olympiads in Romania and are looking for physics textbooks on Amazon. I understand the importance of having good resources for studying and preparing for competitions like the olympiads.

I would recommend looking for textbooks that specifically cover the topics of alternating current, optics (wave part), and relativity. You can search for these keywords on Amazon and filter the results by customer reviews to find the most highly rated books.

In addition to the Demystified series, you may also want to consider other popular textbooks such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. These books are widely used by students preparing for olympiads and have received positive reviews from customers.

It's also a good idea to check with your teachers or fellow students who have previously participated in the olympiads for their recommendations. They may have specific textbooks or study materials that they found helpful.

I hope this helps you in your search for physics textbooks. All the best for your olympiad preparations!

1. What are the benefits of using Amazon to find physics textbooks for high-school Olympiad preparation?

There are several benefits to using Amazon to find physics textbooks for high-school Olympiad preparation. Firstly, Amazon offers a wide selection of textbooks from various publishers, making it easier to find the specific book you need. Additionally, Amazon often has competitive prices and frequent sales, making it more affordable to purchase textbooks. Lastly, Amazon offers convenient shipping options, including free two-day shipping for Prime members, to ensure you receive your textbooks in a timely manner.

2. How can I ensure that the physics textbooks I purchase on Amazon are of good quality?

To ensure that the physics textbooks you purchase on Amazon are of good quality, it is important to read reviews from other customers who have purchased the same book. You can also check the publisher and edition of the book to make sure it is the most current version. Additionally, Amazon has a return policy in case you receive a textbook that is damaged or not as advertised.

3. Are there any additional resources available on Amazon to supplement my physics textbook?

Yes, Amazon offers a variety of additional resources to supplement your physics textbook. These may include study guides, practice problems, and solutions manuals. You can also find other educational materials such as videos and online courses on Amazon to help you prepare for the high-school Olympiad.

4. Can I rent physics textbooks on Amazon instead of purchasing them?

Yes, Amazon offers a rental option for some physics textbooks. This can be a more cost-effective option, especially if you only need the textbook for a short period of time. However, be sure to check the rental terms and conditions, as well as any potential fees for late returns or damages.

5. Are there digital versions of physics textbooks available on Amazon?

Yes, Amazon offers digital versions of many physics textbooks. These can be accessed on a variety of devices, such as a Kindle or laptop, and may include interactive features such as quizzes and study tools. Digital textbooks can also be more affordable and convenient, as they do not require shipping or physical storage.