Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Textbooks

1. Jul 6, 2004 #1
    What do you consider to be the "best" introductory calculus-based physics textbook? I've taken an Honors Physics course which used the highly pedestrian algebra-based Holt Physics book and am greatly interested in learning more physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Halliday and Resnick, not the versions with Krane, i.e. Editions 1 or 2 only.......

4. Jul 6, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I was a TA for an honors sequence, they used [over the span of 3 quarters]:
    Kleppner and Kolenkow "An Introduction to Mechanics",
    Purcell "Electricity and magnetism (Berkeley physics course v.2)",
    and [if I recall correctly] French "Vibrations and Waves".

5. Jul 7, 2004 #4
    the series robphy posted is the one that MIT uses. K&K and purcell are used in the honors physics classes. K&K is probably not the best introduction to the material, especially for self-teaching, but the problems are excellent and there are a lot of examples. i found the purcell to be pretty good and readable, with some good problems. a good supplement can be found at my class's website at http://web.mit.edu/8.022/www/ - my prof's notes and extra problems are excellent. before attending MIT, i had never done any calculus-based physics, and found the K&K a bit hard to keep up with. second semester, i found the E&M class which used purcell to be much easier. however, the prof was definitely a big factor, so take that with a grain of salt. and having used those two books, i decided on becoming a physics and math major, so take that as an indicator of their great treatment of the subject matter. as for the french, that's what i will be using next year, so we'll see about that i guess?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  6. Jul 7, 2004 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

I've been using a text by Gasioschwicz (sp.). Personally, I don't care much for the book. Lots of worked examples, however. This text is calculus based, by the way.

7. Sep 29, 2004 #6
    I learned a lot of intro physics from Serway.

Avoid Tipler.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook