1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Textbooks

1. Jul 6, 2004 #1
    What do you consider to be the "best" introductory calculus-based physics textbook? I've taken an Honors Physics course which used the highly pedestrian algebra-based Holt Physics book and am greatly interested in learning more physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Halliday and Resnick, not the versions with Krane, i.e. Editions 1 or 2 only.......

4. Jul 6, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I was a TA for an honors sequence, they used [over the span of 3 quarters]:
    Kleppner and Kolenkow "An Introduction to Mechanics",
    Purcell "Electricity and magnetism (Berkeley physics course v.2)",
    and [if I recall correctly] French "Vibrations and Waves".

5. Jul 7, 2004 #4
    the series robphy posted is the one that MIT uses. K&K and purcell are used in the honors physics classes. K&K is probably not the best introduction to the material, especially for self-teaching, but the problems are excellent and there are a lot of examples. i found the purcell to be pretty good and readable, with some good problems. a good supplement can be found at my class's website at http://web.mit.edu/8.022/www/ - my prof's notes and extra problems are excellent. before attending MIT, i had never done any calculus-based physics, and found the K&K a bit hard to keep up with. second semester, i found the E&M class which used purcell to be much easier. however, the prof was definitely a big factor, so take that with a grain of salt. and having used those two books, i decided on becoming a physics and math major, so take that as an indicator of their great treatment of the subject matter. as for the french, that's what i will be using next year, so we'll see about that i guess?

6. Jul 7, 2004 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

I've been using a text by Gasioschwicz (sp.). Personally, I don't care much for the book. Lots of worked examples, however. This text is calculus based, by the way.

7. Sep 29, 2004 #6
    I learned a lot of intro physics from Serway.

Avoid Tipler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?