Quantum Physics for Math Undergraduates: Advice Needed

In summary: I am intending to eventually go into physics so learning more about QM is important to me.In summary, a third year undergraduate mathematics undergraduate is intending to learn more about quantum physics and recommends Mechanics by Keith R. Symon and Electricity and Magnetism by Brian P. Clegg as starting points.
JonathanTheDestroyer
Hello. I am a third year Mathematics undergraduate. I am intending to get a good undergraduate understanding of Quantum Physics (to eventually pursue a Physics masters) and was looking at what recommendations anybody could make.

I have a good mathematical background in linear algebra, groups, fields ect from my Maths degree so that shouldn't be a problem. I am currently reading Mechanics by Keith R. Symon to get a good understanding of classic mechanics so I was looking to expand upon this and would like any advisory textbooks to get started.

This is my first post here so apologies if this question has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

Likes Bibleman
Physics news on Phys.org
You should learn mechanics and get to understand the Hamiltonian principle. You should also be acquainted with electricity and magnetism. After that you should be good to go for QM.

Likes Bibleman
micromass said:
You should learn mechanics and get to understand the Hamiltonian principle. You should also be acquainted with electricity and magnetism. After that you should be good to go for QM.

I should have pointed out I have done a first year undergraduate course in Physics where we dealt with electricity and magnetism, mechanics, a bit of basic QM ect.. I have also done A level Physics (British education system). Any specific books you could recommend?

Look at this thread. There are some excellent recommendations. My favorite is McIntyre as I mentioned here. You can ignore the linear algebra recommendations.

Likes Bibleman
JonathanTheDestroyer said:
Hello. I am a third year Mathematics undergraduate. I am intending to get a good undergraduate understanding of Quantum Physics (to eventually pursue a Physics masters)

Huh? If you want to pursue a masters degree in physics you should change your major to physics now.

Student100 said:
Huh? If you want to pursue a masters degree in physics you should change your major to physics now.
I don't have that option right now otherwise I would have.

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers.

2. How does quantum physics relate to mathematics?

Quantum physics is heavily reliant on mathematical concepts and equations to describe and predict the behavior of quantum systems. Understanding mathematical concepts, such as linear algebra and complex numbers, is crucial for understanding quantum physics.

3. What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum physics include that it only applies to the microscopic world, that it allows for teleportation or time travel, and that it is completely random. In reality, quantum physics can also be applied to macroscopic systems, it does not allow for teleportation or time travel, and it is based on probabilistic behavior rather than complete randomness.

4. What skills do math undergraduates need to excel in quantum physics?

Math undergraduates should have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They should also be comfortable with abstract mathematical concepts and have strong problem-solving skills.

5. What advice do you have for math undergraduates interested in studying quantum physics?

My advice would be to take courses in both physics and math, as well as courses specifically focused on quantum mechanics and quantum theory. It is also beneficial to read books and articles on the subject and to seek out opportunities for research or internships in the field. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will be crucial for success in quantum physics.