1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Physics Textbooks

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    Hello. I am a third year Mathematics undergraduate. I am intending to get a good undergraduate understanding of Quantum Physics (to eventually pursue a Physics masters) and was looking at what recommendations anybody could make.

I have a good mathematical background in linear algebra, groups, fields ect from my Maths degree so that shouldn't be a problem. I am currently reading Mechanics by Keith R. Symon to get a good understanding of classic mechanics so I was looking to expand upon this and would like any advisory textbooks to get started.

This is my first post here so apologies if this question has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You should learn mechanics and get to understand the Hamiltonian principle. You should also be acquainted with electricity and magnetism. After that you should be good to go for QM.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3
    I should have pointed out I have done a first year undergraduate course in Physics where we dealt with electricity and magnetism, mechanics, a bit of basic QM ect.. I have also done A level Physics (British education system). Any specific books you could recommend?

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4
    Look at this thread. There are some excellent recommendations. My favorite is McIntyre as I mentioned here. You can ignore the linear algebra recommendations.

6. Sep 20, 2016 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh? If you want to pursue a masters degree in physics you should change your major to physics now.

7. Sep 20, 2016 #6
    I don't have that option right now otherwise I would have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted