Finding Min Height to Prevent Crate from Tipping

• Thread starter mattmannmf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the problem is determining the force required to move a 24 inch wide, 120 ib crate (2590N) and the minimum height needed to prevent it from tipping. The force required to move the crate to the right is 777N, and the minimum height to prevent tipping can be found using the equation h = (2590 x 12)/777, which equals 32.4 inches.
mattmannmf
So the problem states that I have a crate that is 24 inch wide. it weighs a 120 ib (roughly 2590N) and I have to determine a) the force required to move the cabinet to the right &
b) min height so the crate doesn't tip

part a was easy, it came out to be 777N. I am just stuck on the min height (b).

I am sure I need to use something involved with summing the moments up but I am stuck with what to sum up.

perhaps its:

Sum moments=0 = (777)(h) - (2590)(12)
where h is the max height for tipping
the 2590 is the weight of the crate (N)
and the 12 is where the center of the weight lies (inch)
and 777 is the force required to move the cabinet to the right (N)

and help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. Solving for h, the minimum height for the crate not to tip is:h = (2590 x 12)/777 h = 32.4 inches

1. What is the definition of "min height" in this context?

The minimum height refers to the lowest possible height at which a crate can be placed without tipping over.

2. How is the "min height" calculated?

The min height is calculated by taking into account the dimensions and weight of the crate, as well as the surface on which it will be placed. It also considers the center of gravity and any potential external forces that may cause the crate to tip.

3. What factors contribute to a crate tipping over?

The main factors that contribute to a crate tipping over include its dimensions and weight, the surface on which it is placed, and any external forces such as wind or uneven ground. The distribution of weight within the crate and the position of the center of gravity also play a significant role.

4. Can the min height vary for different types of crates?

Yes, the min height can vary for different types of crates depending on their dimensions, weight, and center of gravity. For example, a taller, narrower crate may have a higher min height to prevent tipping compared to a shorter, wider crate.

5. Is there a standard formula for determining the min height for a crate?

There is no one standard formula for determining the min height for a crate, as it depends on various factors such as the crate's dimensions, weight, and center of gravity. However, there are general guidelines and principles that can be used to calculate the min height for a specific crate in a given situation.