1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics to computer science

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    Hi guys,
    I am in the second year of physics PhD program. Considering the job market of physics, now I want to switch to CS, does anyone have this experience or suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What sort of CS are you thinking about?

Some PhD level people have become quants on Wall Street because of their computer simulation and modeling work.

Are you thinking to blend your physics with your CS interest?

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    Quants are more easily for top school student, my school is top 20. The average time to finish PhD is 6.5 years, I don't want to waste time. I have some programing experience on C++, Fortran, Matlab, but no CS classes. As I know, machine learning and data mining are more easier for my background, many people in this direction are doing bioinformatics. I have no idea how to combine physics with CS.

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't understand. Are you talking about switching to CS, or finishing your PhD combining it with CS?

6. Apr 20, 2013 #5
    Do you really need CS to work in computing? I know that there are people working at D-wave who don't have CS, most are physics PhD's and engineers. I think it depends on what you want to do, you will need CS if you want to do programming or stuff like that.

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6
    I want to switch to CS. More jobs are available in CS. I know some phys PhDs find jobs in finance and CS, but it is not easy, most people have to be postdocs.

8. Jun 13, 2013 #7
    I say switch!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook