Physics PhD to CS: A Viable Career Move?

In summary, the individual is currently in a physics PhD program but is considering switching to computer science due to the job market. They have some programming experience but no formal CS education. They are interested in combining physics with CS, specifically in the fields of machine learning and data mining. They are unsure of how to merge the two fields and are seeking suggestions and advice. Some individuals with physics backgrounds have found jobs in finance and CS without a CS degree, but it may be necessary for certain roles. Ultimately, the individual is looking to switch to CS for more job opportunities.
sckangz
Hi guys,
I am in the second year of physics PhD program. Considering the job market of physics, now I want to switch to CS, does anyone have this experience or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of CS are you thinking about?

Some PhD level people have become quants on Wall Street because of their computer simulation and modeling work.

Are you thinking to blend your physics with your CS interest?

Quants are more easily for top school student, my school is top 20. The average time to finish PhD is 6.5 years, I don't want to waste time. I have some programing experience on C++, Fortran, Matlab, but no CS classes. As I know, machine learning and data mining are more easier for my background, many people in this direction are doing bioinformatics. I have no idea how to combine physics with CS.

I don't understand. Are you talking about switching to CS, or finishing your PhD combining it with CS?

Do you really need CS to work in computing? I know that there are people working at D-wave who don't have CS, most are physics PhD's and engineers. I think it depends on what you want to do, you will need CS if you want to do programming or stuff like that.

I want to switch to CS. More jobs are available in CS. I know some phys PhDs find jobs in finance and CS, but it is not easy, most people have to be postdocs.

I say switch!

1. What is the relationship between physics and computer science?

Physics and computer science are closely related fields, as both involve the study of how systems and processes work. However, physics focuses on understanding the laws of nature and how the physical world works, while computer science focuses on designing and developing computer systems and software.

2. How is physics used in computer science?

Physics is used in computer science in many ways, such as in the design and development of computer hardware, programming languages, and algorithms. For example, principles of electricity and magnetism are used in the design of computer circuits, and principles of motion and forces are used in creating simulations and animations.

3. What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses computer algorithms and simulations to solve complex physical problems that are difficult or impossible to solve analytically. It involves using computer software to simulate and model physical systems and processes, such as the behavior of particles in a gas or the motion of celestial bodies.

4. How does computer science benefit from physics?

Computer science benefits from physics in many ways. The principles and laws of physics provide a foundation for understanding the behavior of systems and processes, which is essential for developing efficient and accurate computer algorithms. Additionally, many technological advancements in computer hardware and software are based on principles of physics.

5. What are some career paths for someone with a background in both physics and computer science?

Someone with a background in both physics and computer science can pursue various career paths, such as scientific computing, data science, and computer simulation. They may also work in fields such as artificial intelligence, robotics, and biomedical engineering. Other potential career paths include software development, computer graphics, and game design.