Preparing for a Switch to EE with a Physics Degree?

In summary, the conversation involves a 2nd year physics undergraduate considering a switch to electrical engineering for graduate school. They are unsure if their physics degree will adequately prepare them, but they note that some upper year physics courses (such as E&M) contain similar concepts to those taught in EE courses. However, there are also many differences and the student is advised to consider auditing or taking a few EE classes to gain a better understanding. They are encouraged to speak to one of their instructors for more information.
under_par_00
I am a 2nd year physics undergrad and I am thinking about a switch to EE. I like the thought of grad school, maybe to be an engineer, so I want to know if my undergrad in physics is going to prepare me enough. Some of the upper year classes I will be taking are: (all 1 term classes):
E&M I and II
QM I and II
Classical Mechanics I
Thermo I
Computer Simulations
Modern Physics Lab
Optional Classes I will take:
Optics and Photonics
Electronic Devices
Nanomaterials

When I look at some of the courses offered to EE students, I see some familiar things that I am learning, but I wonder if my degree will prepare me for a switch later on...

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics classes (especially E&M) contain some things used by EE, but EE cointains many things not taught in physics classes and the things in both are often done differently. If you have sereous interest you should consider auditing or taking for credit a few EE classes. Ask one of your instructers about it.

I can understand your interest in switching to EE with a physics degree. Physics and EE are closely related fields and many concepts and principles overlap between the two disciplines. Your upper year classes in E&M, QM, classical mechanics, and thermodynamics will provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles of EE. Additionally, your experience with computer simulations and modern physics lab will also be valuable in developing skills that are essential for an engineer.

I would recommend taking some of the optional classes you mentioned, such as optics and photonics, electronic devices, and nanomaterials. These courses will provide you with a more specialized knowledge in areas that are directly relevant to EE.

However, I would also suggest considering taking some fundamental EE courses such as circuit analysis, digital systems, and signals and systems. These courses will give you a better understanding of the basic concepts and tools used in EE and will prepare you for more advanced courses in the future.

Overall, I believe your physics degree will provide you with a strong foundation for pursuing a career in EE. With your strong background in fundamental physics principles and your willingness to take relevant EE courses, you will be well-prepared for a switch to EE and for graduate studies in engineering.

1. What skills from a physics degree are applicable to a career in electrical engineering?

A physics degree provides a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, which are all essential for a career in electrical engineering. Additionally, physics courses cover topics such as electricity and magnetism, circuits, and quantum mechanics, which are directly relevant to electrical engineering.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of electrical engineering before pursuing a switch with a physics degree?

No, you do not need prior knowledge of electrical engineering. Many universities offer bridging courses or introductory courses for students with a background in physics to help them transition into an electrical engineering program. Additionally, your physics background will provide you with a solid foundation to build upon in your electrical engineering studies.

3. What steps can I take to prepare for a switch to electrical engineering with a physics degree?

Some steps you can take to prepare for a switch to electrical engineering include: taking relevant courses in mathematics, computer science, and electronics; gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects; familiarizing yourself with industry tools and software; and networking with professionals in the field.

4. Will a switch to electrical engineering with a physics degree take longer than a traditional electrical engineering degree?

It depends on the specific program and the courses you have already completed in your physics degree. Some universities may offer accelerated programs for students with a background in physics, while others may require you to complete additional coursework. It is important to research and consult with academic advisors to determine the best path for you.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a physics degree and a background in electrical engineering?

A physics degree with a background in electrical engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in research and development, design and testing, manufacturing, consulting, and more. You may also choose to specialize in a specific area within electrical engineering, such as renewable energy, telecommunications, or nanotechnology.