1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics to EE

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    I am a 2nd year physics undergrad and I am thinking about a switch to EE. I like the thought of grad school, maybe to be an engineer, so I want to know if my undergrad in physics is going to prepare me enough. Some of the upper year classes I will be taking are: (all 1 term classes):
    E&M I and II
    QM I and II
    Classical Mechanics I
    Thermo I
    Computer Simulations
    Modern Physics Lab
    Optional Classes I will take:
    Optics and Photonics
    Electronic Devices

When I look at some of the courses offered to EE students, I see some familiar things that I am learning, but I wonder if my degree will prepare me for a switch later on...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Physics classes (especially E&M) contain some things used by EE, but EE cointains many things not taught in physics classes and the things in both are often done differently. If you have sereous interest you should consider auditing or taking for credit a few EE classes. Ask one of your instructers about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?