Is a Physics Undergrad to Engineering Grad Possible?

In summary, if you want to major in physics and then go on to get a masters or doctorate in engineering, you will need to specialize in engineering and not minor in physics.
sbaks0820
I want to major in physics for undergrad, and was wondering if it was possible to get a bs in physics and do graduate school in engineering. I mean I have the physics part covered, but would it be possible (allowed) to happen? Cuz the job market for physicists (esp astrophysicists) is not adequately high. So I'm considering doing my physics, but then getting masters/ph. d in engineering, and just wanted to know if this was possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
differs from school to school, from what I've heard, in Auckland, physics undergrad doing engineering post grad require an extra semester. In various engineering departments in australia, the entry requirement accept "applied sciences"

So make sure you contact each department you are planning to apply for, for the most accurate info

Why would you want to do this? Engineering and physics aren't as similar as you may think. They require different skills, and ask different questions.

Of course you COULD do this(at least in the US), but you will just be screwing yourself over. The best thing you could do is major in engineering and focus exclusively on it. A lot of engineering students at my school minor in physics just to get some modern physics concepts that aren't usually covered in engineering.

Yup^. If you want to be an engineer, take engineering. In engineering you will be taking some physics courses. For example last year I took electricity and magnetism, this year I'm taking modern physics (relativity, quantum mechanics, nuclear and atomic physics) which are both taught by the physics department. Not to mention you will be learning lots of physics in your engineering courses (just more of an applied approach). It depends which country you are in but becoming a professional engineer is much more difficult if you have a BSc in physics as appose to a BEng.

What type of engineering, and in what country? I know that ~50% of incoming nuclear engineering graduate students in my department (in the US) have a B.S. in physics.

1. Can I pursue a career in engineering with a physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to transition from a physics undergraduate degree to a career in engineering. While the two fields have different approaches and applications, the analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a physics degree can be valuable in an engineering career.

2. Do I need to have a specific engineering specialization in mind when applying for a graduate program?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific engineering specialization in mind when applying for a graduate program. Many engineering graduate programs allow students to choose a concentration or specialization after completing their core coursework.

3. Will I need to take additional courses or prerequisites to be accepted into an engineering graduate program?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some engineering graduate programs may require certain prerequisites or foundational courses for students with non-engineering undergraduate degrees. It is best to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. How can I showcase my engineering skills and experience with a physics background?

You can showcase your engineering skills and experience through internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, you can highlight your technical and analytical abilities in your resume and personal statement when applying to engineering graduate programs.

5. Are there any advantages to having a physics undergraduate degree when pursuing a graduate degree in engineering?

Having a physics undergraduate degree can provide a strong foundation in mathematical and scientific principles, which are essential for many branches of engineering. Additionally, a physics background can also demonstrate a strong aptitude for problem-solving and critical thinking, which are highly valued skills in the engineering field.