Physics training tips for competitions?

In summary, the individual is a high school student from Indonesia who is interested in physics and is looking for tips on how to study and prepare for larger competitions such as the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO). They have already completed basic courses in mechanics and mathematics with grades around 95% and have also participated in national science and math competitions, winning first place. However, they do not have a mentor specialized in physics and are seeking advice from strangers on the internet. The expert recommends finding a mentor for specialized training, as the IPhO requires strong and broad preparation in specific topics chosen by others. They also mention that success in ISEF-affiliated events can be achieved with a remote mentor, but not for IPhO.
IIAlexII
So in a couple of months from now I will start to intensively learn physics because I want to hopefully join larger competitions such as IPHO. I'm legitimately interested in physics and have won some competitions before but I'm just looking for some tips for studying physics. It would also be greatly appreciated if you guys can tell me a good source for studying physics. Thanks!

Ps. this is my first post :)

Physics news on Phys.org
High school? College? Courses already completed? The path to improvement depends on where you are starting from.

Dr. Courtney said:
High school? College? Courses already completed? The path to improvement depends on where you are starting from.
Oh yeah, sorry for the missing details. I'm currently in high school.:)

I'd be more optimistic if you didn't show the typical immature high school approach of expecting good feedback, but only answered half the questions. Which math and science courses have you already completed? Grades?

Dr. Courtney said:
I'd be more optimistic if you didn't show the typical immature high school approach of expecting good feedback, but only answered half the questions. Which math and science courses have you already completed? Grades?
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding because I have English as a second language so sometimes I misinterpret what people say.

So I'm currently 15 years old and I am in junior high school (grade 9) in Indonesia. So I have learned the basics of mechanics, electricity, and waves. I have also learned some materials a couple of years ahead but mostly in mechanics. For the math I have completed algebra basics and I learned the basics of trigonometry. For math and physics, I always get grades of around 95%. I have also joined some national science competitions and math competitions and got first place. So in term of physics, I have studied the basics of Newtonian physics.

I am really sorry again if I still am missing some information but as I have said this is the first time I touched any kinds of forum so please excuse me for that.

From that perspective, it seems that following the advice of the teacher or mentor for your International Physics Olympiad is probably better than the advice of strangers on the internet. I'd only reach out for advice from strangers if there is no one at your home school who can help you.

IPhO requires some specialized problem solving skills executed in a specific test format. Most Physics Forums contributors can help you learn and train in Physics more generally, but that more general improvement may not be your best use of time training from where you are for a specific event.

Dr. Courtney said:
From that perspective, it seems that following the advice of the teacher or mentor for your International Physics Olympiad is probably better than the advice of strangers on the internet. I'd only reach out for advice from strangers if there is no one at your home school who can help you.

IPhO requires some specialized problem solving skills executed in a specific test format. Most Physics Forums contributors can help you learn and train in Physics more generally, but that more general improvement may not be your best use of time training from where you are for a specific event.

Thank you!

So do you think my best bet is to find a mentor? I currently do not have anyone that is specialized enough in physics.

IIAlexII said:
Thank you!

So do you think my best bet is to find a mentor? I currently do not have anyone that is specialized enough in physics.

Yes. No one at your school is specialized in physics? Without a local mentor specialized in Physics, real progress toward IPhO is a bigger challenge that it might otherwise be. I have known students to succeed with remote mentors in ISEF-affiliated science fairs, but not IPhO. The big difference is that you pick your own project in ISEF-affiliated events. But for IPhO, the topics for the event you enter are picked by others, and you need to have very strong and very broad preparation. In ISEF-affiliated events, you just need to be very good and do an excellent job in the one specific area of the project YOU picked under the guidance of your mentor.

Dr. Courtney said:
Yes. No one at your school is specialized in physics? Without a local mentor specialized in Physics, real progress toward IPhO is a bigger challenge that it might otherwise be. I have known students to succeed with remote mentors in ISEF-affiliated science fairs, but not IPhO. The big difference is that you pick your own project in ISEF-affiliated events. But for IPhO, the topics for the event you enter are picked by others, and you need to have very strong and very broad preparation. In ISEF-affiliated events, you just need to be very good and do an excellent job in the one specific area of the project YOU picked under the guidance of your mentor.

There should be some local mentors that are specialized enough in physics in my area. I also am really considering ISEF-affiliated events too. However there are also my country's national Olympiad which is obviously much easier than IPHO. For that olympiad, the first round (city level) will be mostly mechanics while the second (province level) and final (national level) round will be covering a broader range (most of Newtonian physics). My school will also be hiring mentors but we only have 3 hours a week. So aside from studying at home, do you recommend a mentor? And do you have any specific strategy or tip?

Thanks in advance!

IIAlexII said:
There should be some local mentors that are specialized enough in physics in my area. I also am really considering ISEF-affiliated events too. However there are also my country's national Olympiad which is obviously much easier than IPHO. For that olympiad, the first round (city level) will be mostly mechanics while the second (province level) and final (national level) round will be covering a broader range (most of Newtonian physics). My school will also be hiring mentors but we only have 3 hours a week. So aside from studying at home, do you recommend a mentor? And do you have any specific strategy or tip?

Thanks in advance!

An experienced local mentor who gets to know you personally with your strengths, weaknesses, and background can offer better tips than I can. Find one. Follow their advice.

Dr. Courtney said:
An experienced local mentor who gets to know you personally with your strengths, weaknesses, and background can offer better tips than I can. Find one. Follow their advice.
How about someone that have won before? I found someone that have won before and is now taking a math degree in an elite university here. People say he teaches well so would you recommend someone like that?

IIAlexII said:
How about someone that have won before? I found someone that have won before and is now taking a math degree in an elite university here. People say he teaches well so would you recommend someone like that?

Either having won or having mentored past winners would make someone high on my list. Go for it!

Dr. Courtney said:
Either having won or having mentored past winners would make someone high on my list. Go for it!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Likes Dr. Courtney

What is the best way to prepare for a physics competition?

The best way to prepare for a physics competition is to start early and practice consistently. You should also familiarize yourself with the competition format and study past problems to get a sense of the types of questions that may be asked.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for physics competitions?

Improving problem-solving skills for physics competitions involves practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental concepts, and learning different problem-solving strategies. It is also helpful to work on increasingly difficult problems to challenge yourself.

What resources can I use to study for a physics competition?

There are many resources available for studying for a physics competition, such as textbooks, online courses, and practice problems. You can also seek guidance from teachers, mentors, and fellow competitors.

How can I manage my time effectively during a physics competition?

Time management is crucial during a physics competition. It is recommended to read through the entire exam before starting to solve problems and to allocate your time wisely for each question. Also, try to keep track of your progress and move on to the next question if you get stuck.

What mindset should I have when competing in a physics competition?

The most important mindset to have is a positive and determined attitude. Believe in yourself and your abilities, and try not to get discouraged by challenging problems. Remember to stay calm and focused, and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed.