1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - Types of Motion

Tags:
  1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The carbon dioxide emissions for each segment are approximately 0.01 tonnes for each of the train and truck portions, and 1.08 tonnes for the plane portion. Calculate the carbon dioxide emissions for each route, from its origin to its final destination.
    - All variables that are given are in the thumbnail that I attached. That was the table the question gave me.

Im not exactly sure how I go about calculating the carbon dioxide emissions. The way the question is worded also doesnt make much sense to me either, so its not helping with trying to decipher whats going on.

2. Relevant equations

v = d / t d = v* t t = d / v slope = y / x y2 - y1 / x2 - x1 a = v2 - v1 / t2 - t1 a = v / t
    Measurement of fuel consumption: L / 100km L being liters of fuel

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the measurement of fuel consumption to calculate what the emissions were going to be but I dont believe I did it right, partly because I dont fully understand the question. Does 0.01 tonnes refer to the total amount of emissions used for a truck/train journey? Or is that referring to the amount of tonnes used per 100km when looking at the equation???

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PF Rules ask that members posting questions in the HW forums post a complete statement of the problem. You complain of how the question was worded, yet you don't provide a verbatim quote of the question. Also, your thumbnail image in unreadable in spots and your equations are taken from some undisclosed source.

How do you reasonably expect to get help under these circumstances?

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3
    - The very first thing I wrote on my post was the complete word for word quote of the question, thank you.
    - Every equation I just posted as well were taken right from the lesson I was given, all of them completely accurate, I assure you.
    - It helps if you Ctrl + scroll on the image to enlarge certain spots, thats the best picture I could possibly take with the resources I have at hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted