How Do You Calculate CO2 Emissions for Different Transport Routes?

In summary, the question is asking for the calculation of carbon dioxide emissions for each route, given the carbon dioxide emissions for each segment and the variables provided in the attached table. The question also mentions using the measurement of fuel consumption, but the approach is not clear.
ElegantSir

Homework Statement

The carbon dioxide emissions for each segment are approximately 0.01 tonnes for each of the train and truck portions, and 1.08 tonnes for the plane portion. Calculate the carbon dioxide emissions for each route, from its origin to its final destination.
- All variables that are given are in the thumbnail that I attached. That was the table the question gave me.

Im not exactly sure how I go about calculating the carbon dioxide emissions. The way the question is worded also doesn't make much sense to me either, so its not helping with trying to decipher what's going on.

Homework Equations

v = d / t d = v* t t = d / v slope = y / x y2 - y1 / x2 - x1 a = v2 - v1 / t2 - t1 a = v / t
Measurement of fuel consumption: L / 100km L being liters of fuel

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the measurement of fuel consumption to calculate what the emissions were going to be but I don't believe I did it right, partly because I don't fully understand the question. Does 0.01 tonnes refer to the total amount of emissions used for a truck/train journey? Or is that referring to the amount of tonnes used per 100km when looking at the equation?

Attachments

• 20150911_114500.jpg
    20150911_114500.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
PF Rules ask that members posting questions in the HW forums post a complete statement of the problem. You complain of how the question was worded, yet you don't provide a verbatim quote of the question. Also, your thumbnail image in unreadable in spots and your equations are taken from some undisclosed source.

How do you reasonably expect to get help under these circumstances?

SteamKing said:
PF Rules ask that members posting questions in the HW forums post a complete statement of the problem. You complain of how the question was worded, yet you don't provide a verbatim quote of the question. Also, your thumbnail image in unreadable in spots and your equations are taken from some undisclosed source.

How do you reasonably expect to get help under these circumstances?
- The very first thing I wrote on my post was the complete word for word quote of the question, thank you.
- Every equation I just posted as well were taken right from the lesson I was given, all of them completely accurate, I assure you.
- It helps if you Ctrl + scroll on the image to enlarge certain spots, that's the best picture I could possibly take with the resources I have at hand.

1. What is the difference between linear motion and rotational motion?

Linear motion refers to motion in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to motion around an axis or point. In linear motion, all parts of an object move the same distance in the same direction, while in rotational motion, different parts of an object move at different distances and speeds around a central axis.

2. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion refers to motion at a constant speed, while non-uniform motion refers to motion at varying speeds. In uniform motion, the velocity of an object remains the same throughout, while in non-uniform motion, the velocity changes over time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to the distance traveled by an object in a given time, while velocity refers to the displacement of an object in a given time. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of motion.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending positions of an object. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of motion.

5. What is the difference between speed and acceleration?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's speed is changing. Speed measures the distance an object covers in a given time, while acceleration measures the change in speed over a given time.