Finding the Uncertainty of Vy in a Physics Equation

In summary: Here is a summary of what I did: Uncertainty for Multiplication = uncertainty of Vy/Vy = uncertainty of A/A + uncertainty of B/BThe Attempt at a SolutionSetup: uncertainty of Vy/0.17204 = 0.0005/0.125 + 0.5/tan(54)My problem is the tangent part: (0.5/tan(54)). do i do that for uncertainty or do i do tan(0.5)/tan(54)?For multiplication the rule is, if Z = X*Y and the independent uncertainties in X and Y are ΔX and ΔY, then \frac
RichardT
Physics Uncertainty Question?

Homework Statement

I have Vy = 0.125tan(54) = 0.17204. I have to find the uncertainty of Vy Where 0.125 = A and tan(54) = B

uncertainty of A (0.125) = 0.0005
uncertainty of B (54 degrees) = 0.5degrees

Homework Equations

Uncertainty for Multiplication = uncertainty of Vy/Vy = uncertainty of A/A + uncertainty of B/B

The Attempt at a Solution

Setup: uncertainty of Vy/0.17204 = 0.0005/0.125 + 0.5/tan(54)

My problem is the tangent part: (0.5/tan(54)). do i do that for uncertainty or do i do tan(0.5)/tan(54)??

Physics news on Phys.org

For multiplication the rule is, if Z = X*Y and the independent uncertainties in X and Y are ΔX and ΔY, then
[tex] \frac{\Delta Z}{Z} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\Delta X}{X}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\Delta Y}{Y}\right)^2} [/tex]
A 'cheap and dirty' method for functions of several variables such as your Vy*tan(θ) is to calculate the extremes of the possible results by varying the variable values by their uncertainties and tabulating the results. You can then see how much the results can vary from the central value.

A 'proper' way to do it is to see how the function varies with each variable using partial derivatives. The error contribution of uncertainty Δx of variable x in a function f(x,y,...) is then
[tex] \Delta f_x = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \Delta x [/tex]
and the total uncertainty of f is given by adding all the contributions for each variable in quadrature (i.e. square root of the sum of the squares, just like adding vector components to find a magnitude):
[tex] \Delta f = \sqrt{\Delta f_x^2 + \Delta f_y^2 + \; ...} [/tex]

EDIT: By the way, I think you'll want to have your Δθ value in radians for the 'proper' method.

Last edited:

You must mean that you have V = A*tan(B) and A = .125 ± .0005, B = 54 ± .5.
My problem is the tangent part: (0.5/tan(54)). do i do that for uncertainty or do i do tan(0.5)/tan(54)??
Neither of those is right!
You could just do the old high school high and low values and take half the difference. Or the error propagation method for tan(B) is to differentiate it:
Z = tan(B)
ΔZ = d(tan B)/dB * ΔB
ΔZ = sec²B * ΔB
You can use the 54 degrees for B, and make sure your calculator is on degrees when you do the secant. But for the ΔB you simply must use the unitless angle - convert the degrees into radians.

Edit: yikes, it must have taken me 20 minutes to sort all that out! I didn't see your post when I started.

1. What is the concept of uncertainty in physics?

Uncertainty in physics refers to the lack of precision or certainty in the measurement of a physical quantity. It is the inherent limitation in measuring the exact value of a quantity due to various factors such as experimental error, limitations of measuring instruments, and the fundamental uncertainty of quantum mechanics.

2. How is uncertainty represented in physics?

In physics, uncertainty is typically represented by the symbol Δ (delta). It is used to denote the range or margin of error in a measurement, or the standard deviation of a set of measurements.

3. How is uncertainty different from error in physics?

Uncertainty and error are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Uncertainty refers to the inherent limitations in measuring a physical quantity, while error is the difference between the measured value and the true value of a quantity. Uncertainty can be reduced by improving measurement techniques, while error can be reduced by minimizing experimental mistakes.

4. What are the sources of uncertainty in physics experiments?

There are several sources of uncertainty in physics experiments, including human error, limitations of measuring instruments, systematic errors, and random errors. Human error can occur due to mistakes in reading instruments or recording data. Instrument limitations can arise from the precision and accuracy of the measuring tools used. Systematic errors are consistent errors that affect all measurements, while random errors are unpredictable variations in measurements.

5. How is uncertainty calculated in physics?

Uncertainty in physics is calculated using various statistical methods, such as standard deviation, error propagation, and confidence intervals. These methods take into account the sources of uncertainty and provide a range of values within which the true value of a quantity is likely to fall. The smaller the range, the more precise the measurement is considered to be.