1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics undergrad, EE grad.

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    I was wondering if it was possible to do physics BS then MEng in EE without making up too many courses?

My goal is to end up working in the industry, so that's why I'm thinking about doing the MEng in EE (I also enjoy analog part of EE, as well as the solid-state device design). If I plan to do so, what is the typical requirements for me to do an MEng in EE? (which courses should I try to take?)

Would 5 courses in analog/circuit design be enough?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2
    The quick answer is you shouldn't need to make up too many classes. Whatever shortcomings you have will be more than made up for by your broad physics and math knowledge. Undergrad physics is all about fundamentals, and good fundamentals will take you a long way in engineering. At a grad level, students are encouraged to take courses outside of their department and EEs often take many physics courses. You won't need to do that as much (or at all).

Five courses in analog circuit design seems too much in a very specific area. I would think 2 or 3 would be enough, and maybe 4 only if you want that to be your main area of expertise. Analog design is best learned by doing, anyway.

The important undergrad foundations in EE are, Fourier/Laplace transforms, control theory, EM theory, analog and digital electronics, solid state physics, engineering maths, probability and communications theory. One can then specialize in biomedical, power, control, signal processing, telecom, computer design, electronics, microelectronics, electromagnetics etc. You probably have most of the fundamentals down, but your advisor would help you shore up any weaknesses. Your grad classes are going to cover all this anyway. A typical MS degree requires 8 courses. I'd be surprised if you need to take more than 10.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook