Is Double Majoring in Physics and Engineering Worth It?

In summary, the individual is torn between their interest in engineering and their love for physics. They are considering double majoring in mechanical engineering and physics for their undergraduate degree, with a minor in electrical engineering. They are also considering getting a PhD in physics after working as an engineer for a while. However, it is mentioned that engineering and physics are not closely related at this level and it may be difficult to go back and forth between the two fields.
Seth0Mitchell
I want to go to school for engineering, mechanical specifically but some elec. on the side, but I'm a lover of Physics. I'm considering Double majoring in ME and Physics for my Undergrad with a minor in EE. Would it be better just to get my BS in physics and minor in EE and ME and the go on to obtain my masters in engineering. I have dreams of one day getting a phd in physics, but only after I've worked as an engineer for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seth0Mitchell said:
I want to go to school for engineering, mechanical specifically but some elec. on the side, but I'm a lover of Physics. I'm considering Double majoring in ME and Physics for my Undergrad with a minor in EE. Would it be better just to get my BS in physics and minor in EE and ME and the go on to obtain my masters in engineering. I have dreams of one day getting a phd in physics, but only after I've worked as an engineer for a while.

Why do you want to work as an engineer if you have a dream of getting a PhD in physics? At this level(in fact, after about your sophomore year), they aren't all that related. If you want to do research in physics, then you should study physics. It would be a huge pain to go back and forth between the two fields.

Well, at the heart of everything, I'm an engineer. I think like an engineer. I've worked around a lot of engineers in my time, and I've always been better at problem solving and coming up with more creative solutions. I've wanted to be an engineer since I was a child. But, getting a phd is something I would like to do just as a personal goal if anything. And I would consider Physics my love on an academic level.

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects in everyday life, while quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, where the future state of a system can be predicted with certainty, while quantum mechanics follows probabilistic laws, where the future state of a system can only be predicted with a certain probability.

2. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in physics as it provides the language and tools for describing and understanding physical phenomena. Many physical concepts and theories are expressed through mathematical equations, and mathematical models are used to make predictions and test the validity of theories.

3. How does Einstein's theory of relativity change our understanding of space and time?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time by showing that they are not absolute, but instead are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also showed that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocities.

4. Can you explain the concept of energy conservation in physics?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. It is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light in physics?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics that plays a crucial role in many theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity. It is considered to be the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe, and it also determines the relationship between space and time in the theory of relativity.