1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Vector Problem

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The vector r=xi+yj+zk, called the position vector, points from the origin(0,0,0) to an arbitrary point in space with coordinates(x,y,z).

2. Relevant equations
    Use what you know about vectors to prove the following: All points (x,y,z) that satisfy the equation Ax+By+Cz=0 where A,B and C are constants,lie in a plane that passes through the origin and that is, perpendicular to the vector n=Ai+Bj+Ck.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can only show that the position vector pointing at (x,y,z) is perpendicular to n=Ai+Bj+Ck.. I did this by using cosa= (Ax+By+Cz)/rn to find the angle between n and r. Ax+By+Cz=0 so cosa=0 and a=90 degrees. But i can't still show that n is perpendicular to the plane. I'm also confused if the problem also asks to show that Ax+By+Cz=0 is a plane.Can somebody please help me. Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    Well, the plane is defined as [itex]\vec{r} \cdot \vec{n} = 0[/itex]. This states that r is perpendicular to n. So every point r for which this equation holds, lies in the plane. See also this page on planes: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Plane.html. Hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook