What Is the Correct Angle Between Two Vectors If Their Cross Product Is Known?

In summary, there is some ambiguity in determining the angle between vectors A and B based on the given information. While the calculated angle of 37 degrees is correct, the angle of 143 degrees is also a valid solution. This is due to the fact that there is not enough information given about the original vectors to determine their relative orientation. Therefore, both answers should be considered correct.
Tarrok

Homework Statement

Two vectors A and B have magnitude A = 3.00 and B = 3.00. Their vector product is A x B= -5.00k + 2.00i. What is the angle between A and B?

Homework Equations

Magnitude of vector product = magnitude of A * magnitude of B * sin of the smaller angle between A and B
|C|=|A||B|*sinX

The Attempt at a Solution

|C|=(5^2+2^2)^(1/2)=3*3*sinX
sinX=(5^2+2^2)^(1/2)/9
X = arcsin[(5^2+2^2)^(1/2)/9]=36.75 degrees

According to the answer, the angle is 37 degrees. As shown above, I see where this comes from. However, we know that sin(36,75)=sin(143,25).

So the magnitude of vector C, where vector C is the cross product of vectors A and B is
3*3sin(36,75)=3*3sin(143,25)=5,385

My question is:
Why is 37 degrees the only correct answer if 143 degrees also works?

Thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Good question. I think you have a point. There isn't enough information given about the original vectors A and B to deduce anything about their relative orientation other than the plane that they lie in. So reversing the direction of either A or B will yield a cross product using the supplementary angle (and reverse the direction for the cross product of course). But there's no way to distinguish say, A from -A, or B from -B, or the orientation that the cross product "should" have.

So I'd say that both answers should be acceptable.

I welcome corrections to my thinking here...

What is the vector product in physics?

The vector product, also known as the cross product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is often used in physics to calculate quantities such as torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields.

How is the vector product calculated?

The vector product is calculated using the following formula:
A x B = |A| |B| sin(θ) n
where A and B are the input vectors, |A| and |B| are their magnitudes, θ is the angle between them, and n is a unit vector perpendicular to both A and B in the direction determined by the right-hand rule.

What is the difference between the vector product and the dot product?

The vector product and the dot product are two different mathematical operations involving vectors. The vector product produces a vector as the result, while the dot product produces a scalar. Additionally, the vector product is defined as A x B = |A| |B| sin(θ) n, while the dot product is defined as A · B = |A| |B| cos(θ).

What are some applications of the vector product?

The vector product has many applications in physics, including calculating the torque exerted on an object, determining the direction of magnetic force on a charged particle, and finding the direction of angular momentum in a rotating system. It is also used in engineering for applications such as computer graphics and robotics.

Is the vector product commutative?

No, the vector product is not commutative, meaning that A x B is not equal to B x A. This is because the direction of the resulting vector is determined by the right-hand rule, which depends on the order of the input vectors. In other words, the vector product is order-dependent.