1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics, Vector Product

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vectors A and B have magnitude A = 3.00 and B = 3.00. Their vector product is A x B= -5.00k + 2.00i. What is the angle between A and B?

2. Relevant equations
    Magnitude of vector product = magnitude of A * magnitude of B * sin of the smaller angle between A and B
    |C|=|A||B|*sinX

3. The attempt at a solution
    |C|=(5^2+2^2)^(1/2)=3*3*sinX
    sinX=(5^2+2^2)^(1/2)/9
    X = arcsin[(5^2+2^2)^(1/2)/9]=36.75 degrees

According to the answer, the angle is 37 degrees. As shown above, I see where this comes from. However, we know that sin(36,75)=sin(143,25).

So the magnitude of vector C, where vector C is the cross product of vectors A and B is
    3*3sin(36,75)=3*3sin(143,25)=5,385

My question is:
    Why is 37 degrees the only correct answer if 143 degrees also works?

Thanks for help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. Good question. I think you have a point. There isn't enough information given about the original vectors A and B to deduce anything about their relative orientation other than the plane that they lie in. So reversing the direction of either A or B will yield a cross product using the supplementary angle (and reverse the direction for the cross product of course). But there's no way to distinguish say, A from -A, or B from -B, or the orientation that the cross product "should" have.

So I'd say that both answers should be acceptable.

I welcome corrections to my thinking here...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted