1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics velocity problem

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    A stream of water is shot with an initial speed of 2.3 m/s at a beetle on a leaf 3cm above the waters surface. If the fish aims in such a way that the stream of water is moving horizontally when it hits the beetle what is the launch angle.

Given:
    Because the stream is moving horizontally then Vy = 0 m/s.
    Ay = -9.8 m/s (gravity)
    Displacement y (Dy) = 3 cm
    Initial V = 2.3 m/s

How can i find the launch angle

Dy = Initial Vy * Time + 1/2(Ay)* Time*Time but dont know time or Vy

and i know nothing for x.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2
    If the stream is moving horizontally, then it is at the peak of its jump. Vy = 0 at h = 3cm. You can use this to find the time.

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    but i am not given Vy i am givin Initial V which is the square root of Vy squared plus Vx squared. And i cannot derive either of those because i dont have an angle to work with.

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4
    You can find Vy because you know it is such that [itex] v_{y0}t = -\frac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex], the moment it hits the leaf, all the upward velocity has been lost to gravitational pull.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?