1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics versus Engineering

1. Jun 26, 2004 #1
    I am posting this with the knowedge that I probably won't have internet acess for 2 weeks, however I still would like to get some response. Since I can remember my dream was to be an inventer. I loved the idea of edison's work shop, and hoped to modify it to create a company similar to sharper image. However over the last year I have been becomming increasingly into physics, specifically the quest for toe. I have to apply for colleges next year during the fall and am starting to get worried. Do I go for a college that is good in engineering say U of M (4th ranked nationally) or should I go to a college that is mainly physics say Yale or something. I guess I could solve the dimlema by getting into MIT, but its never good to rely on something. Any suggestions, should I do physics or engineering?

tom

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Notice that the greatest physicist of the middle 20th century, Richard Feynman, went to MIT. If you go to a TOUGH engineering school, and explain your dilemma to your advisors, you should be able to do the first two undergraduate years without making a complete choice. If your other temptation had been math you couldn't do that; calculus for math majors is a different subject from calculus for engineers and physicists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?