Physics versus Engineering

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ideaspace
  • Start date
I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a sketchy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.
Based on personal experience - yes. Senior professionals in those 4 areas are compensated along the lines as one's query - at least those with whom I am familiar.

...I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.

Can a senior industrial mathematician be paid six figure salaries? Sure. Will YOU be paid a six figure salary? That's a different story. The sketchy picture you see is because you need to think like an entrepreneur --and not everyone does.

Please don't take this the wrong way, BUT:

1) Education doesn't entitle you to anything.
2) At the end of the day, you need to bring a commensurate value to the table, or you won't be employed.
3) This is not some damned merit badge. Real life is not about what you know. It's about what you DO with with you know.

Well put Jake.