1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Physics versus Engineering

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    I am a senior in college, and I am getting ready to apply for grad school @ UIC. I want to get a PhD in Nonlinear PDEs with applications to mechanical engineering, civil engineering, applied mechanics, or material science. I like all 4, but I need to know if people in these areas of study are payed six figures for senior positions, and how valuable would an industrial mathematician be in these fields. I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and the data I have seen paints a skethcy picture. Can anyone help me out ? THANKS.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Based on personal experience - yes. Senior professionals in those 4 areas are compensated along the lines as one's query - at least those with whom I am familiar.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    Can a senior industrial mathematician be paid six figure salaries? Sure. Will YOU be paid a six figure salary? That's a different story. The sketchy picture you see is because you need to think like an entrepreneur --and not everyone does.

Please don't take this the wrong way, BUT:

1) Education doesn't entitle you to anything.
    2) At the end of the day, you need to bring a commensurate value to the table, or you won't be employed.
    3) This is not some damned merit badge. Real life is not about what you know. It's about what you DO with with you know.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    Well put Jake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook