Physics virgin is this how I do it?

• Thread starter noodle21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the truck is in motion for a total of 35 seconds. The average velocity for the entire motion is not provided, as the displacement is unknown. The displacement can be calculated by breaking down the trip into three segments and using a formula for constant acceleration.
noodle21
A truck on a straight road starts from rest accelerating at 2.0 m/s2 until it reaches a speed of 20 m/s. Then the truck travels for 20 s at constant speed until the brakes are applied, stopping the truck in a uniform manner in an additional 5.0 s. (a) How long is the truck in motion? (b) What is the average velocity of the truck for the motion described?

My answers: (a) From rest to speed of 20 m/s it takes 10 s. Add 20 s. Add 5.0 s... equals 35 s.

(b) I know average velocity is displacement divided by time. But, how do I calculate the displacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the displacements from the 3 segments of the trip separately. I assume you've come across a formula to calculate the distance traveled during constant acceleration...

First of all, congratulations on taking an interest in physics and wanting to learn more! To answer your question, displacement is the change in position of an object, so in this case, it would be the distance the truck travels from its starting point to its final position. To calculate the displacement, you can use the formula: displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2. In this scenario, the initial velocity is 0 m/s, so the displacement would be 1/2 x 2.0 m/s^2 x (10 s)^2 = 100 m.

Now, to find the average velocity, you can use the formula: average velocity = total displacement / total time. In this case, the total displacement is 100 m (from the initial acceleration) + 20 m/s x 20 s (from the constant speed) = 500 m. And the total time is 35 s (10 s from acceleration + 20 s at constant speed + 5 s for braking). Therefore, the average velocity would be 500 m / 35 s = 14.29 m/s.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work in learning physics!

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. What is a virgin in physics?

In physics, a "virgin" refers to an object or system that has not yet been affected by any external forces or interactions.

3. How do I apply physics in my daily life?

Physics is involved in various aspects of our daily lives, from the technology we use to the laws of motion that govern our movements. For example, understanding the principles of physics can help us drive a car, use a smartphone, or even cook food more efficiently.

4. Is physics difficult to understand?

Physics can be challenging to understand, especially when dealing with complex concepts and mathematical equations. However, with patience, practice, and a solid foundation of basic principles, anyone can grasp the fundamental concepts of physics.

5. What are some interesting applications of physics?

Physics has numerous applications in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and technology. Some interesting examples include using physics principles to design roller coasters, develop new medical imaging techniques, and create renewable energy sources.