1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Vs. Mathematical Physics

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, i'm a student from Ontario applying for university. I have come to a fork in the road and i need some guidance as to which course would more appropriately suit me. I am 23 years old, and i recently went back to an adult high school and took accelerated courses. I had not previously taken these courses when i was actually in high school, i was simply a troublemaker when i was younger.. ^.^ I started with a math grade 12 college course, and realized i had more potential so i continued forward, and took GR11 and GR12 of the following courses. Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Functions, and advanced functions, and calculus. My mark in physics was only an 84, however my mathematical skill level during this point was very weak, i took gr11 functions and advanced functions and calculus after Physics. So therefore in my mind, my Physics grade was much lower due to this weakness in maths. My grade 12 marks are as follows.

BIO: 86
    CHEM: 88
    Physics:84
    Calculus:94
    Advanced Functions: 91
    ENGLISH: 84
    ( I'm revealing my marks only to show that i believe i have the competency to do the physics or mathematical physics program, i am not proud that i am so late with doing these high school courses, but i am proud that i did do them in the end.)

Leaving my overall at 88%

Here is a program description for Mathematical Physics and the initial courses

http://math.uwaterloo.ca/math/future-undergraduates/programs/mathematical-physics

Now my fork in the road is a choice between Mathematical Physics, and Physics. I personally love math, but i also love physics. So i figured what better choice of a course could there be for me where more maths is integrated into the physics course.

What i really love is how the math can help you make sense of the physical problem, and it gives a solid proof to look at which you can relate to the physical problem.

So my question is really, will i miss out on a lot of physics if take the mathematical physics program, or would it still cover all of the fields of physics in a way which is more heavily oriented around maths?

Also i am curious, if it is possible to put a difficulty level on each program, which program would be more difficult?

**I'M INCREDIBLY SORRY IF I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG TAB BUT I THINK THIS IS THE CORRECT THREAD**

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted