Physics with a detour in Engineering?

Your fellow student. In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma of choosing between a major in physics or engineering. They are currently a freshman in college and taking advantage of the New Jersey Stars Program. They are considering their long-term goals of going to graduate school for physics and job opportunities in both fields. Ultimately, the advice given is to follow their passion and do what they love.
JetFan38
Hello,

I’m currently a freshman in college. I’m attending my local community college as part of the New Jersey Stars Program. For those of you who don’t know what that is, if you graduate in the top portion of your high school class, you can attend community college with your tuition paid for by the state. Then, following graduation with your associates, the state will pick up a certain amount of your tuition when you transfer to a four-year state university. I took advantage of this program knowing that I will be going for graduate school, so I would be reducing the amount of money I have to pay for my bachelors.

Originally I was a physics major, being that I love all aspects of physics, and would love to do research as a career. I realized that I would definitely have to go for my PhD in physics if I wanted to do research and find a good stable job. After considering the limited job opportunities that physics offers without a PhD, I decided that I might be better off majoring in engineering, which I also enjoy. However, looking at some recent trends in the economy, it isn’t all that perfect for engineers either.

This has led me to a predicament. At first I was planning on getting my bachelors in engineering, then going to graduate school for physics if I didn’t get a job right away. However, after taking my first engineering class, Engineering Analysis, I’ve come to learn that I don’t exactly like programming much (This course teaches FORTRAN, yeah…). I’m not familiar with programming languages such as C++ or Java, so although I know they are different, I don’t know whether I would enjoy them. If Engineering is going to mainly consist of programming, then perhaps it’s not the best option for me to take.

Right now, I’m contemplating on just getting my associates in Engineering, and then when I transfer to a four year university, I’ll just continue with physics. As I’ve said, I’m interested in all aspects of physics, including Quantum Mechanics and Astrophysics. The University I’m planning on transferring to has a pretty good astrophysics program and offers research opportunities, which is as I know vital to anybody who wants to get ahead.

I’m sort of locked into getting my associates in Engineering, but changing is always an option. Switching from Associates Engineering to Bachelors Physics may cost me some time and extra semesters, but that’s something that I’ll just have to go with it. No matter what I do, my ultimate goal is to go to graduate school for physics. Would majoring in Engineering severely change my chances of getting into graduate school for Physics? Also, as I’ve been told by my physics professor who have a PhD in Astronomy, that you necessarily need to have a degree in engineering to do an engineer’s job. As a degree in physics will prepare you for the majority of the tasks an engineer does.

So can anybody offer me any advice on which career path will lead to the better employment opportunities? I prefer to study Physics, and that is what I love. I'm always told that if you do what you love you’ll never work a day in your life. Meanwhile, I think that Engineering will make me more well-rounded, but I don’t know if I would enjoy it as much, nor if it is really necessary since I'm planning on going to graduate school for physics.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow student,

First of all, congratulations on taking advantage of the New Jersey Stars Program and being proactive in planning for your future. It's great to see that you have a passion for both physics and engineering, and are considering the potential career paths for each.

In terms of employment opportunities, both physics and engineering are valuable and in-demand fields. However, as you mentioned, there may be more job opportunities available for engineers with a bachelor's degree compared to those with a physics degree. This is because many engineering jobs require a specific skill set and knowledge base, whereas physics is a broader field that may require further specialization or advanced degrees for certain job opportunities.

That being said, it's important to remember that a degree in physics can also prepare you for a variety of careers, including research, teaching, and even some engineering positions. Additionally, pursuing a graduate degree in physics can open up even more job opportunities and potentially higher salaries.

In terms of your dilemma about switching from an engineering major to a physics major, my advice would be to consider your long-term goals and what will ultimately make you happy. If your ultimate goal is to go to graduate school for physics, then it may be worth considering switching to a physics major now rather than later. While it may require some extra time and effort, it will ultimately be more beneficial for your career in the long run.

Furthermore, it's important to keep in mind that your undergraduate major does not necessarily determine your career path. Many people end up working in fields that are different from their undergraduate major, and having a well-rounded education can be valuable in any career.

Ultimately, my advice would be to follow your passion and do what you love. If that means majoring in physics and pursuing a graduate degree in the field, then go for it! Don't let the fear of limited job opportunities hold you back from pursuing your dream career. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve your goals and find success in the field of physics.

Best of luck to you in your academic and career pursuits!

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, while engineering is the application of those laws and principles to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. What is the benefit of studying physics with a detour in engineering?

Studying physics with a detour in engineering allows for a deeper understanding of the principles of physics and how they can be applied in practical, real-world situations. It also prepares individuals for careers in engineering, which are in high demand and offer a wide range of opportunities.

3. Can someone with a physics background transition into engineering?

Yes, someone with a physics background can definitely transition into engineering. Many engineering programs actually require a strong foundation in physics. With additional coursework and practical experience, a physics background can be a great foundation for a career in engineering.

4. What are some examples of engineering applications in physics?

There are countless examples of engineering applications in physics, including designing and building structures, machines, and devices such as bridges, airplanes, and computers. Engineers also use physics principles to develop new materials and technologies, improve energy efficiency, and solve complex problems in various industries.

5. What types of jobs are available for someone with a degree in physics with a detour in engineering?

A degree in physics with a detour in engineering can lead to a variety of job opportunities, such as a research scientist, design engineer, project manager, or technical consultant. Graduates can also pursue careers in fields such as aerospace, energy, materials science, and telecommunications.